UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Another US election gone by

Politicians Sweep Midterm Elections

Here in Michigan we had a ballot proposal to ban the hunting of mourning doves (The practice had been banned since 1903 but was lifted for limited hunting in 2004). I quote a conversation between a few people in line at the polling booth yesterday...

A rather animated young women some 10 people behind me or so in line, was speaking quite loudly to what I presumed to be a friend about our Proposal 3. I paraphrase...

"The mourning dove is a symbol of peace and tranquility and its a wonderful creature, etc. They need to be protected from people who just want to blow them up with guns. What's next, shooting robins (our state bird), sparrows and hummingbirds? I can't understand why anyone would want to kill such a beautiful little bird...."

(the diatribe was actually much longer and quite emotional but you get the idea) And she was suddenly interrupted by a rather large bearded and gruff looking man (who happened to be standing directly in front of me), who boomed...

"Because they taste good bitch. I'd shoot you too, but you probably taste like a lima bean."

This very nearly turned ugly but thankfully, the big gruff fellow behind me was more than satisfied with his own quip and smiled calmly while his target retaliated with a rather venomous tirade. Cooler heads ultimately prevailed and little else came of it, but it sure made for some rather uncomfortable moments.

For the record... I voted against the ban, not because I have any personal desire to kill a mourning dove, but simply because banning it limits personal freedom. That and any ban on one form of hunting could potentially lead to another. As a guy who enjoys venison, I'd rather not have that happen.

For the curious, the ban passed with an enormous margin as everyone expected it would... 69 to 31%. It shouldn't come as any shock that people tend to like little animals), so I suppose that the boisterous young woman ultimately had the last laugh.

Anyone else have any odd local ballot issues they'd care to share?

What's with hunting right now!? We had a vote about keeping all forms of hunting safe by denying a change to the Georgia constitution in regards to it.

Mourning doves do taste good... REAL good.

Mourning doves do taste good... REAL good.

I admit to never having tasted it... but I wanted to keep my options open. Alas. At any rate, can I assume a quail/pheasant sort of experience?

A rather animated young women some 10 people behind me or so in line, was speaking quite loudly to what I presumed to be a friend about our Proposal 3. I paraphrase...

"The mourning dove is a symbol of peace and tranquility and its a wonderful creature, etc. They need to be protected from people who just want to blow them up with guns. What's next, shooting robins (our state bird), sparrows and hummingbirds? I can't understand why anyone would want to kill such a beautiful little bird...."

(the diatribe was actually much longer and quite emotional but you get the idea) And she was suddenly interrupted by a rather large bearded and gruff looking man (who happened to be standing directly in front of me), who boomed...

"Because they taste good bitch. I'd shoot you too, but you probably taste like a lima bean."

Doves do taste good but Homeboy needs a smack-down for the "I'd shoot you" portion. Me, I'm going to celebrate tonight now that Rummy's finally stepping down.

Doves do taste good but Homeboy needs a smack-down for the "I'd shoot you" portion. Me, I'm going to celebrate tonight now that Rummy's finally stepping down.

P-P dove breast is actually a very rich and oily dark meat. Very succulent.

Virgil.... WOOHOOO!!! That is spectacular news.

Me, I'm going to celebrate tonight now that Rummy's finally stepping down.

Indeed, perhaps people will actually start to work together.

You don't know just how accurate you are. I have friends who work for the State Dept and another government agency :D all guys I served with. The concensus is that DoD under Rummy has been a closed shop unwilling to work with other government agencies. Rummy's had it out for the Army from the get-go, completely ignoring requests for new weapons systems and marginalizing senior generals who disagree with him. Good riddance!

You don't know just how accurate you are. I have friends who work for the State Dept and another government agency :D all guys I served with. The concensus is that DoD under Rummy has been a closed shop unwilling to work with other government agencies. Rummy's had it out for the Army from the get-go, completely ignoring requests for new weapons systems and marginalizing senior generals who disagree with him. Good riddance!

He's always seemed the authoritarian who's ego undermined his job more than someone who intentionally had it out for the troops, but clearly some of the behavior has been hard to understand. I suppose being unable to admit to being wrong or to making mistakes is a politician's natural position, but he's had it worse than most.

So are we finally going to get a major increase in troop numbers, something I've been wishing for ever since.

I don't see the logic behind the increase in troop numbers, the more U.S. troops in Iraq, the more targets for the terrorists. If Iraq is far from being another Vietnam now, it will only move closer to Vietnam if you increase troop numbers.

The only solutions I see is:

1. Use overwhelimg force (I don't mean troop force) to crush the opposition. You must be willing to accept civilian casualties.

2. Install a new dictator that can rule Iraq with an iron fist. Not a new Saddam who was a sadistic criminal, but a Benevolent dictator.

I think it was very naive of the Bush adminstration to assume they could bring democracy to a region thats historically turbulent and opposed to western style democracies.

Edited by tflex

Politicians Sweep Midterm Elections

This very nearly turned ugly but thankfully, the big gruff fellow behind me was more than satisfied with his own quip and smiled calmly while his target retaliated with a rather venomous tirade. Cooler heads ultimately prevailed and little else came of it, but it sure made for some rather uncomfortable moments.

For the record... I voted against the ban, not because I have any personal desire to kill a mourning dove, but simply because banning it limits personal freedom. That and any ban on one form of hunting could potentially lead to another. As a guy who enjoys venison, I'd rather not have that happen.

Couldn't agree with you more. There should be open season on politicians, lawyers, neo-paths, undertakers, etc. Don't know how they taste, but they could always be used for spare parts. Don't want my personal freedom limited.

Poor rummy! It's really hank kissinger who is whispering in georgie-poo's ear about Eyewreck. Giving dubya his Viet-Nam wisdom.

Understand that prez chenny has invited Nancy Pelosi out to a peasant hunting affair. The jolly rover is sending rummy off on a tour of Fallujah in a Hum-Vee.

Maybe now we will get someone with normal sized ears in D.C.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

I didn't vote. Neither of the two major parties in my state offered candidates for whom I could vote. In fact, the Senate race between Santorum and Casey made me sick.

I didn't vote. Neither of the two major parties in my state offered candidates for whom I could vote. In fact, the Senate race between Santorum and Casey made me sick.

Seriously, maybe a write in would have shown your disgust.

Some wag has held that if elections settled anything, governments would outlaw them.

Anyone else notice that FC is conspicuously absent since the dems swept congress. He must be on a 3 day celebratory bender. At least Arnold is still around to give him at least a mild form of Republican irritation :ph34r:

Anyone else notice that FC is conspicuously absent since the dems swept congress. He must be on a 3 day celebratory bender. At least Arnold is still around to give him at least a mild form of Republican irritation :P

How could you blame him? Notice how the republick neo-paths have changed their tunes? :ph34r:

:ph34r: