UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"A child witha stick....

spittle

In one of the later episodes of Rome there is a gathering of the Roman gentry and caesar says something like:

"I am not surprised that Pompey had such an easy victory. A child with a stick could have done so. I doubt they have yet stopped running..."

It is spoken quietly and is easy to miss but it seems a little out of place, not quite in charcter with the image of Caesar the programme makers try to impart.

Does anyone know whether Caesar actually voiced such sentiments concerning a vanquished foe in any of his writings?

(I believe he was referring to the Pontics (?). It was after his victory over Pompey but, obviously, before his death)

And I did state 'obviously before his death' so I would appreciate it if the sarcasm, stating of the obvious or general, crass frat house comments of the forums resident wits (who shall remain nameless) did not reoccur.

Edited by spittle

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised to hear Caesar words too . I heard "Pompey/Pompeius" and ''Pontus?" so my conclusion is that the writer (of the series) is familiar with the notion/assumption/fact that pompey was famous as a one who stealed victories from others (from Metallus against Sertorius , from Crassus against Spartacus , and from Lucullus against Mithridates 6th king of pontus) . I think that Caesar was reffering to that , so he actually was saying "Pompey magnus... , even a child with a steak could have beaten pontus" .

But perhaps I am wrong .

Edited by Caesar CXXXVII