UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
kurtedwr

Who Bathed?

That would probably depend on the time period. I believe that the baths did not cost much, however, that is relative to how much you have. Chances are, the very poor did not go to the baths perhaps except on special occasions, or when it was free.

Oftentimes, though, Imperators would make the baths free for everyone. As a sign of his magnamity (did I spell that right?) he would agree to "pick up the tab" for everyone who wished to visit the baths.

As I recall, the baths of Caracalla were free to the public, and they were frequented by free men and slaves, men and women, young and old. Most likely, it was considered in the public interest that everyone bathe, much as we consider it in the public interest that everyone be vaccinated.

That would probably depend on the time period. I believe that the baths did not cost much, however, that is relative to how much you have. Chances are, the very poor did not go to the baths perhaps except on special occasions, or when it was free.

Oftentimes, though, Imperators would make the baths free for everyone. As a sign of his magnamity magnanimity (did I spell that right?) he would agree to "pick up the tab" for everyone who wished to visit the baths.

B)

As I recall, the baths of Caracalla were free to the public, and they were frequented by free men and slaves, men and women, young and old. Most likely, it was considered in the public interest that everyone bathe, much as we consider it in the public interest that everyone be vaccinated.

So far as everything I read and heard while I was there, the baths were free to all. I believe some were charged to keep out the riff-raff. Rich Romans might set up a private bath in their homes, but would still frequent public baths for the communal aspect of Roman bathing.

I can't remember if the massages were free. The massages were considered an important part of the baths.

In the standard Roman view of Public Works and Services, ensuring the baths were free and accessible was an important part of government administration. If any Consuls (republic) or Emperor (empire) allowed them to lapse, they were viewed unfavorably.

I visited the Diocletian Baths, one of the largest and most opulent in their day. To give you an idea how big, what amounted to the foyer, the entrance to the Baths, is now a large cathedral, the Santa Maria degli Angeli. It's amazing. It's on the Piazza della Repubblica in Rome.

Santa Maria degli Angeli Church, I don't think it's a cathedral, is one of the most interesting in Rome because it preserves the Diocletian Baths. It may be that the floor is a more recent renovation. Here's an image:

http://www.romecity.it/santamariadegliangeli01c.jpg

Edited by Ludovicus

Santa Maria degli Angeli Church, I don't think it's a cathedral, is one of the most interesting in Rome because it preserves the Diocletian Baths. It may be that the floor is a more recent renovation. Here's an image:

http://www.romecity.it/santamariadegliangeli01c.jpg

Basilica. That's the word I was looking for.

Mea culpa.

(It's so big, it's almost too much to take in. And it was just the common area.....)

Edited by Lucius Apuleius

found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_baths

Thermae were available to everyone at a reasonable price ...

i once visited Bath, UK. It would have been wonderful to jump in ...

A tourist guide had said the city was thinking of making a new one, i wonder if they have.

maybe they have ...

http://www.bath.co.uk/_code/external.asp?U...rmaebathspa.com

Do you think that the wealthier citizens would have had a seperate part of the baths reserved for them? I just can't imagine the rich and famous people of Rome sharing the same baths and conversing with the poor and the slaves.

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Do you think that the wealthier citizens would have had a seperate part of the baths reserved for them? I just can't imagine the rich and famous people of Rome sharing the same baths and conversing with the poor and the slaves.

oh, they had private baths. ;)

While I haven't read Garrett Fagan's Book, I have listened to some of his lectures and I found them to be VERY good. This is a very niche subject and from what I know Fagen's book is the only one out there.

Edited by P.Clodius

What Ive always wondered about the great thermae is

How did they circulate water in the pools?

Woudn't they have to constantly add fresh water while draining some?

If they didn't that water would get nasty quick with a hundred bathers in at a time!

;)

I believe that is a big part of what the aquaducts were used for. ;)

I know they did it, but I'm not entirely sure how.