UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Numa Pompilius

If Carthages fleet...

If Carthages fleet...  

4 members have voted

1. 1. If the Carthaginian fleet that was carrying supplies to Harmilcars army in sicily didn't lose the sea battle of the Aegates Islands; would it have enabled the Carthaginian army to take the rest of sicily?

• Yes
    • No
    • I Don't Know

If the Carthaginian fleet that was carrying supplies to Harmilcars army in sicily didn't lose the sea battle of the Aegates Islands; would it have enabled the Carthaginian army to take the rest of sicily?

Please give your reason why you chose the answer you did, if you have one.

I vote yes

Simply because if it is a question of supply Carthage would've controlled the vital supply lanes and access to reinforcements.

"An Army Marches on its Stomach" Napoleon

The big if - cause and effect and multiple time lines!

If they won the sea battle they could have been destroyed in a storm, been defeated in battle anyway, induced plague or subject to a thousand and one other scenario's. Also it implies that if they had won at sea this would have made a difference - this would depend upon whether significant numbers survived along with weapons, baggage and provisions.

Prehaps you need to be more specific in your question. i.e. If all the troops send had survived the sea journey and battle etc

Would they have been able to take all of Sicily?

Absolutely not, the Greeks have defeated the Carthaginians numerous times in Sicily relatively with ease.