UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Numa Pompilius

Where can I find a book or a....

Where can I find a book or a series of books about the Roman republic from the begining to the end?

The list is endless, Numa. It would depend whether you want primary sources or modern works. Either way, it is still an endless list. Also, do you want a general overview, or more in-depth treatments?

Where can I find a book or a series of books about the Roman republic from the begining to the end?

The list is endless, Numa. It would depend whether you want primary sources or modern works. Either way, it is still an endless list. Also, do you want a general overview, or more in-depth treatments?

Just as quick and unscientific proof of what Augusta is suggesting, check out this simple search on "Roman Republic" in the books section of Amazon..

One of the top 'hits' for "Roman Republic" in Amazon is Michael Crawford's work. I've read both the first and second editions of this work, and I don't think they are very good for a beginner. It's far too advanced for beginners to the period, plunging into far too much detail on topics that will seem simply confusing. For experts, it's not good for another reason entirely--it only glosses over issues that are known to be controversial.

If you're just beginning to study the Roman republic, I think Philip Matyzak's "Chronicle of the Roman Republic" is nice way to begin. If you're more advanced, read it anyway and make sure there's nothing included that you didn't already know.

I want a book that is a primary source and that goes in-depth.

I want a book that is a primary source and that goes in-depth.

I assume by primary that you don't actually mean the ancient sources such as Livy. If you do, the link provided should help get you started. The source material is scattered depending on what your focus is and only Cassius Dio provides a relatively complete narrative from beginning to end. (Livy's work follows roughly the foundations through the Punic/Macedonian Wars... or through the 2nd century BC.)

I am getting the impression that you want a solid introductory, yet complete and intelligent overview. If this is the case I would concur with Cato's recommendation of Philip Matyzak's "Chronicle of the Roman Republic".

Works by historians such as H.H. Scullard ("History of the Roman World: 753 to 146 BC" and "From the Gracchi to Nero") obviously meet the criteria as in depth but are hardly introductory. I've found Andrew Lintott's "The Constitution of the Roman Republic" to be an indispensable reference manual on the institutions and political systems of the Republic, but is hardly an all encompassing "history" per se (nor is it light fair).

Another recommendation might be Michael Grant's "History of Rome". This is a general overview of Roman history including the imperial period, but still provides an excellent introduction to the Republic. Grant generally provides a re-interpretation narrative of ancient source materials in an easy style, so you aren't getting getting overwhelmed with new theories and/or over analyzed details.

try the

"ROUTLEDGE HISTORY of the ANCIENT WORLD" series.

They do several concerning Greek and Roman history.

The Beginnings of Rome. 1000BC to 264BC is the first Roman title but there are about five others taking you to the Fall of Rome OR, if you wish, just upto the end of the Republic.

As PP suggested, try a general overview first, Michael Grant is a great start and then, depending on which particular subject interests you, you can pursue reading other works.

A number of Livy's translations are also available online and there are some good sites like University of Chicago ( I think the domain is penelope.edu) which may also provide you with some good material.

Edited by Skarr