UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Numa Pompilius

A good book on Greek and Roman mythology.

Bulfinch's Greek and Roman Mythology The Age of Fable is a good book that covers what the romans believed. It aslo covers Hindu, Greek, Northern, and Eastern mythology. It has stories of Beowolf, Budha, Ulysses (odysseus), The Trojan War, Hercules and more. This book was first published in 1855 which covered all the listed above and medieval tales, oriental fables and more, The Age of Fable is the first section of the mythology.

Actually, I didn't enjoy Bullfinch nearly as much as Edith Hamilton's book on the same subject. Not only did Hamilton seem to make clearer distinctions between Roman vs. Greek mythology, but her language was clearer.

Actually, I didn't enjoy Bullfinch nearly as much as Edith Hamilton's book on the same subject. Not only did Hamilton seem to make clearer distinctions between Roman vs. Greek mythology, but her language was clearer.

I've never heard of that book, does it have more information than Bullfinch's? And I guess your right about how it doesn't explain which are greek and which are Roman.

They sound interesting. I have always wondered how ancient myths reflected each other in different cultures. I have read in Peter Berresford Ellis' book that there are many similarities between Celtic mythology and Hindu tales. Is this true, or are we venturing into pseudo-history?

They sound interesting. I have always wondered how ancient myths reflected each other in different cultures. I have read in Peter Berresford Ellis' book that there are many similarities between Celtic mythology and Hindu tales. Is this true, or are we venturing into pseudo-history?

I can't really answer that question because i don't know that much about celtic mythology. I do know that the Roman story on how the world was created is very similar to christianity. It even tells about a flood like Noah's Arc.