UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thracianus

Birth- and death-places of Byzantine Roman Emperors

Good day to all,

I was wondering if anybody is aware of a thorough list of Byzantine Emperors (or, for that matter, all Roman Emperors, from Augustus to Constantine Dragazes) which gives the dates and locations of their birth and death. Likewise, is there any sort of database on where these may have been burried?

For instance, can anyone answer the question "how many Roman Emperors" were burried in Constantinoplis? How many of their tombs are still known today? I fear, not many.

If no such list is known to exist, I am interested in compiling one. Any one interested in collaborating?

Many thanks in advance for any leads.

Perhaps my question was too pedentic, or, alternatively, impossible to answer. If it was disrespectful of some convention that needs to be observed in this Forum, apologies for it.

T.

Perhaps my question was too pedentic, or, alternatively, impossible to answer. If it was disrespectful of some convention that needs to be observed in this Forum, apologies for it.

T.

Nothing to be concerned over... I just don't think anyone is aware of such a list.

I for one would find such a compilation interesting, but I'm afraid I can't offer you much in the way of support beyond the obvious research choices.

T.

Nothing to be concerned over... I just don't think anyone is aware of such a list.

I for one would find such a compilation interesting, but I'm afraid I can't offer you much in the way of support beyond the obvious research choices.

As you probably know, Thracianus, if the emperor has the title Porphyrogenitus we know exactly where he was born: not just which city, but which room! But I expect you're more interested in the ones who weren't born there. No, unfortunately, I don't know of any list. If you make a list -- I suppose you could get a lot of it from the online biographies, e.g. via this list and some of them via this one -- I'd be interested to see it: it would provide some really useful data.

As you probably know, Thracianus, if the emperor has the title Porphyrogenitus we know exactly where he was born: not just which city, but which room! But I expect you're more interested in the ones who weren't born there. No, unfortunately, I don't know of any list. If you make a list -- I suppose you could get a lot of it from the online biographies, e.g. via this list and some of them via this one -- I'd be interested to see it: it would provide some really useful data.

Thank you Senator, I knew the latter list but it never occured to me to look into Wikipedia! I will start the work and keep the audiance posted of any progress.

T.

Try finding the book "Emperors don't die in bed", or something similar, by dr. Fik Meier. It describes the locations and circumstances of the deaths of all emperors up to 476.

If you decide to make your list I'd be happy to assist.