UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Translation please

Germanicus

Just hoping someone can give me a latin translation of the below:-

'Green Amplification Island'

I realise it may be difficult, if not impossible. If you post a translation - could you post a direct translation of each latin word you use ?

Thanks and much appreciated

Germanicus

Insula Viridis Amplificationis...which is translated directly as Green Island of Amplification, the entire phrase is femine. Amplification, couldn't find any adjectible forms, so I used it in the genitive, id est "of Amplification." Viridis is the common botanical latin term used for green. However, that is not to say there is only that one form, since Latin is odd in that it can use for example, a participle as an adjective to describe island. But I chose viridis because it is an actual adjective and probably common botanical term for green.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Insula Viridis Amplificationis...which is translated directly as Green Island of Amplification, the entire phrase is femine. Amplification, couldn't find any adjectible forms, so I used it in the genitive, id est "of Amplification." Viridis is the common botanical latin term used for green. However, that is not to say there is only that one form, since Latin is odd in that it can use for example, a participle as an adjective to describe island. But I chose viridis because it is an actual adjective and probably common botanical term for green.

Yes, that's the best that could be done, I reckon. Congratulations, FVC.

But I want to add that one can't translate something one doesn't understand. Translation really involves meanings, not words. I don't understand "green amplification island" and therefore I don't think I would even have tried to translate it!

Thanks a lot Flavius !

It's the title of a painting I'm working on. The use of color in it makes the green in it just vibrate with a certain intensity - and it's the view of an island from above - hence "Green Amplification Island"

once again, thanks !

Thanks a lot Flavius !

It's the title of a painting I'm working on. The use of color in it makes the green in it just vibrate with a certain intensity - and it's the view of an island from above - hence "Green Amplification Island"

once again, thanks !

Ah, yes, I see now. Good title.

Edited by Andrew Dalby