UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Poll on the Best Roman Generals

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Augustus. The guy was useless, but he had the sense to realise it, more than many a bad general could do. :lol:

I would have to put Scipio and Sertorius at the top though.

How about Aurelian, Corbulo, Theodosius I, Scipio Aemilianus and Sulla - just afew that havent been mentioned.

Although the likely spring to mind, Caesar, Scipio, Augustus, Belisarius i would like to mention Macedonius, whose first names escape me. he succesfully planned and coordinated Illyria, Macedon and The League of Greek Cities downfall (with help) he seems to of been forgotten, even though there were very little monumentous battles except for maybe corinth, i stronly believe these annexations as a result of Macedonius were vital for the forging of Rome. Please post back if you agree that he should be put with the greats. :unsure:

I would say Caesar, seeing that he defeated Pompey, his sons and all his friends in battles where he was usually at a numerical disadvantage.

However, you probably shouldn't listen to me, I'm fresh from reading his accounts of the Gallic wars, and whoever comes out of that alive gets a rosy unblemished picture of Caesar in their head that sticks like bad music for about a month :(

Republic -

1. Gaius Iulius Caesar (the Dictator)

2. Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus (Maior)

3. Gaius Marius

4. Publius Cornelius Scipio Aemilianus Africanus Numantinus

5. Lucius Cornelius Sylla "Felix"

6. Quintus Sertorius

7. Gnaeus Pompeius "Magnus"

8. Quintus Fabius Maximus Rullianus

9. Manius Curius Dentatus

10. Lucius Papirius Corsur

11. Marcus Claudius Marcelus (2nd Punic War)

12. Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus

Empire (not ranked) -

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa , Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo , Marcus Ulpius Traianus (Trajan) , Marcus Aurelius , Lucius Domitius Aurelianus , Flavius Valerius Constantinus , Flavius Aetius , Flavius Stilicho , Flavius Belisarius

[edited out the humor for the sake of legitimacy=PP]

1 general, eh. If it was for real winning: CAESER

but everyone loves caesar maybe for determination SCIPIO

or maybe someone obscurer like LEPIDUS or MACEDONICUS

Good topic, do a poll. twould be gr8

• 5 months later...
Republic -

3. Gaius Marius

6. Quintus Sertorius

Empire (not ranked) -

Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa , Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo , Marcus Ulpius Traianus (Trajan) , Marcus Aurelius , Lucius Domitius Aurelianus , Flavius Valerius Constantinus , Flavius Aetius , Flavius Stilicho , Flavius Belisarius

That is a good list but i dispute number 4 and number 7. Scipio Aemilianus was a good organizer and a good by the book general but truly his campaigns were nothing outstanding. He took over sieges where the enemy was already besieged. Therefore he would be down the list. Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus is extremely overrated. In Spain Quintus Caecilius Metellus Pius did alot more to defeat Sertorius then Pompey ever did. Lucius Licinius Lucullus is not even on the list. I would rate him right up there with Sulla and Sertorius. He ran rings around Mithridates and Tigranes despite being heavily outnumbered. Lucullus and Metellus definitely rate ahead of Pompey. The only fault with Lucullus is that his men did not like him.

Republic -

3. Gaius Marius

6. Quintus Sertorius

Empire (not ranked) -

That is a good list but i dispute number 4 and number 7. Scipio Aemilianus was a good organizer and a good by the book general but truly his campaigns were nothing outstanding. He took over sieges where the enemy was already besieged. Therefore he would be down the list. Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus is extremely overrated. In Spain Quintus Caecilius Metellus Pius did alot more to defeat Sertorius then Pompey ever did. Lucius Licinius Lucullus is not even on the list. I would rate him right up there with Sulla and Sertorius. He ran rings around Mithridates and Tigranes despite being heavily outnumbered. Lucullus and Metellus definitely rate ahead of Pompey. The only fault with Lucullus is that his men did not like him.

For the purposes of this answer I will confine my list to those generals who fought from the Second Punic War to the end of the Republic.

1. Gaius Julius Caesar

2. Scipio Africanus

3. Gaius Marius

4. Quintus Sertorius

5. Lucius Cornelius Sulla

6. Lucius Licinius Lucullus

7. Scipio Aemilianus

8. Quintus Caecilius Metellus Pius

9. Lucius Aemilius Paulus

10. Marcus Porcius Cato (Censor)

11. Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa

12. Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus

13. Marcus Antonius

Best Generals, Hmmm...

That's a tough one...In no particular order:

1. Tiberius Gracchus - He commanded the slave-legions at Beneventum against Hanno; 214 BC in the second Punic War. I have always liked the story of Beneventum where Gracchus promised the slaves their freedom upon possession of an enemies head. Once the battle started the two forces clashed and were evenly matched when the Romans pace started to slow. Reports came to Gracchus that the slaves were stopping to cut off the Carthaginian's heads and upon acquiring one were dropping their swords and instead wielding the severed head as a weapon. Upon hearing this Gracchus ran to his troops and decreed that they had proven their valor and deserved freedom, so drop the heads, pick up your swords, and finish the enemy! The image of this battle has always stuck in my mind as amusing.

2. Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus - This is definitely a general that is high on my list. As mentioned previously in this thread Scipio is an excellent general in both command and motivation. Additionally the story of Scipio threatening his peers after the battle of Cannae gives him the visage of a true Roman in my mind, patriotic to the last. It is disappointing how his career fizzled out after his crescendo at so early of an age.

3. Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus - The Cunctator. I admire this General for purely the stern resolve he had not to risk a fight at the beginning of the war with Hannibal. Even throughout the constant criticism from the senate, people, and even his fellow troops (namely Minucius Rufus) for standing by idle while Hannibal ravaged the countryside before him. Fabius' career was somewhat lack-luster compared to other great generals, however he had always had the patience and cautiousness to wait for the opportune time to attack. During his fourth consul he played a good game of attack, garrison, and reinforce that rendered Hannibal's efforts in Italy mildly effective.

more to be added...

Edited by Diocles