UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CiceroD

Colorful tunics in the Roman republic?

I have finally rented the first two episodes.

I was dismayed however at the colorful tunics and togas that I saw. with the exception of the dress of the senators and the military tunics Pullo and Vorenus wore, most were all sorts of colors. At one point Cicero wore a grey and white striped tunic with a green toga!

I was given to think that Roman men's clothing were far more drab amongst the lower classes undyed and the patricians wore a dull white with the exception of clavii and among the candidati!

The white toga was like a three-piece business suit--not something you wear every day (recall Cincinnatus donning the toga to receive envoys from Rome?). Daily wear included many vibrant colors, including even green. Roman paintings (see below), murals, mosaics, and even sculptures testify to the broad color palette of the Romans.

mport101.jpg

A good rule-of-thumb, when considering colour palette in clothing (and to some extent in decor,though perhaps with more hierarchical rules) is to invert the modern idea of "good taste", the subtle greys and off whites of the moderns would indicate an inability to buy dyestuffs. A good meeting of the "quality" ( I refer to Pullos' description of the young Octavian in his brothel visit) would see people in as wide a range of colours as the participants purse could allow of.

The white toga was like a three-piece business suit--not something you wear every day (recall Cincinnatus donning the toga to receive envoys from Rome?). Daily wear included many vibrant colors, including even green. Roman paintings (see below), murals, mosaics, and even sculptures testify to the broad color palette of the Romans.

mport101.jpg

The research Ive been doing in the Roman clothing indicates that men were far more restricted in color than were women.

Although my sources are a bit old. (The best ones are from the twenties) I dont have much reason to doubt them. I'll try to find the appropriate quotes.

MPC do you have any pics or sources of [/i]men from the 1st century in colorful garb?

I read that Senators during the late Republic wore colourful tunics during that era, compared with the Early Empire, when they wore clothes that seemed more drab. Is there any truth to this claim? I was under the impression that throughout the Roman era, the upper classes wore brightly coloured clothes.

Well I guess this means in future I should get a newer source. :lol:

my 1920's book "The Clothing of the Ancient Romans" by Lillian Wilson maintained that.

"White Woolen cloth of the natural color of fleece, and, for fine garments, sometimes bleached to give it a more dazzling whiteness, was worn by the Ancient Romans much more than by any peoples living in the present time except those living in the orient."

I guess this doesnt preclude the wearing of bright colors :(