UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Day of Infamy

Primus Pilus

It was certainly a day that we in Europe should be grateful for, as it brought the US into the war.

Who knows what might have happened otherwise.

As a non-American, I have been interested to read about the event - I have acquired a small library on the subject over the years. It is interesting historiographically to see how the US came to terms with the tragedy and the debacle it represented: the blame placed somewhat unjustly on the two local naval and army commanders Kimmel and Short. But it was a day of great personal heroism too.

On a separate point, a favorite film of mine is Tora, Tora, Tora, a relatively accurate and factual (compared to the more recent Ben Affleck "Pearl Harbor"). I think few films of war achieve the faithful telling of BOTH sides of the action in such a non-judgemental way. In a sense the day was a tragedy for the Japanese empire too, because on that day its defeat began.

One can forget sometimes that the US is a comparatively young nation. To me, with the Civil War, 7 December 1941 was part of the growing up process, as the Caudine Forks or Cannae were for Rome; or Hastings, Bannockburn or Castillon for the English. Truths get learned and the nation arises stronger and with greater self-knowledge. From the blackness of Pearl Harbor and those sunken ships, arose a super power ever more conscious of her ability, resources and place in the world.

But how nearly things might have been more difficult - had the carriers been sunk; if some strange chivalry had not made Hitler support his Axis partner by declaring war on the USA.

I'm sorry to hear that fewer Americans now mark the day. I think they should.

I bow in homage to those who died. Death came from blue skies and suddenly that day.

Phil

Edited to remove a disatrous and unintentional "not".

Edited by phil25

That amazes me PP-this day is overlooked? I would have thought (as Phil suggests) that this is a fundamental Day , on which America came to have a renewed and mature understanding of itself as a Nation. All credit and praise to those who lost their lives.

This post simply in remembrance of Pearl Harbor Day (December 7, 1941). An event too often forgotten/ignored in American lore.

A day of infamy

They are saying that today's survivors meeting may be the last held since the vets are getting up there in age.

That amazes me PP-this day is overlooked? I would have thought (as Phil suggests) that this is a fundamental Day , on which America came to have a renewed and mature understanding of itself as a Nation. All credit and praise to those who lost their lives.

Forgive me, I should not have made it seem as if the event is completely ignored. There are the obligatory ceremonies and recognition of veterans along with political speeches and news outlet promotion, but the average joe on the street is generally oblivious.

Although I suppose such ignorance of history (even relatively recent history) is all too common. The shame is, as Virgil rightly points out, the world is soon going to be without the actual participants of these events (regardless of which side, nation and theatre of the war), and I shudder to think how forgotten it will become without them.

How appropriate then that we try to discuss history in all its aspects.