UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Caesar CXXXVII

Gordianus (I , II and III) and the Gracchi

We all (?) know that the Gordians claimed to be a descendants of the Grachhi ? The clime is represented in ancient works and recognised as false .

1. How exactly they represnted themselfs as such , that is , what was thier claimed genealogy ?

2. What is the true ? The real genealogy ?

3. so , how the name "Sempronianus" came ?

We all (?) know that the Gordians claimed to be a descendants of the Grachhi ? The clime is represented in ancient works and recognised as false .

1. How exactly they represnted themselfs as such , that is , what was thier claimed genealogy ?

2. What is the true ? The real genealogy ?

3. so , how the name "Sempronianus" came ?

I didn't know they claimed to be descendants of the Gracchi.

Regarding your question 2, the below comes from Roman Emperors.org.

The untrustworthy Historia Augusta biography gives Gordian a Roman pedigree, claiming his parents were a senator named Maecius Marullus (descended from the family of the Gracchi) and his wife Ulpia Gordiana (related to the emperor Trajan), but both the names and the ancestry are obvious fantasies; Syme, Ammianus and the Historia Augusta, pp.160-163. Gordian's family, however, may well have been connected to prominent families from the Greek East whose scions came to hold high political office in the course of the second century; on these families, see Bowersock, pp.17-29. All of the primary evidence on Gordian I is assembled by Dietz, pp.56-73.