UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Books question

ModernMarvel

Friends,

I am in terrible need. I need a now book. My wife said I can get some new stuff for myself this christmas (the Roman map is already on the way :thumbsup: ). Anyways, where was I...new book! Yes! Any ideas?

Criteria:

Preferably from Julius Caesar to Hadrian

Military or Political

Preferably from an ancient author (but a REALLY REALLY REALLY good modern one will do)

Thanks folks. I sincerely appreciate it.

Marvel

Friends,

I am in terrible need. I need a now book. My wife said I can get some new stuff for myself this christmas (the Roman map is already on the way :D ). Anyways, where was I...new book! Yes! Any ideas?

Criteria:

Preferably from Julius Caesar to Hadrian

Military or Political

Preferably from an ancient author (but a REALLY REALLY REALLY good modern one will do)

Thanks folks. I sincerely appreciate it.

Marvel

Sticking with ancient authors, of course your choices are rather limited. I'd recommend Appian since he is most often overlooked. His Civil Wars is an excellent account of the period between Caesar's war and the defeat of Sextus Pompey by the second triumvirate.

Cool, thanks!

The reason I like ancient authors is because I like that "We were there feeling". Also, I like to see what the roman people thought of it all. Thats a reason I like Suetonius so much. He had a lot of speculation in his writings. Even though some of it was not truthful, it gives it to me, a feeling like he had his ear to the people.

I'll check that book out. Thanks Primus.

I will look at modern authors, I just dont know of any that are considered good. All I've read is stuff from ancient sources. Who are some great modern authors?

Marvel

I believe there was an old folk tale called the Saturnalia Carmina. Caesar had become an implacable tyrant hell bent on establishing a monarchy. Then one Saturnalia night he was visited by three manes who showed him visions of Rome past, present and future. Caesar learns the True Meaning of the Republic and renounces his ambitions. The whole thing concludes with Marc Antony exclaiming "Jupiter bless us everyone!"

The reason I like ancient authors is because I like that "We were there feeling". Also, I like to see what the roman people thought of it all. Thats a reason I like Suetonius so much. He had a lot of speculation in his writings. Even though some of it was not truthful, it gives it to me, a feeling like he had his ear to the people.

Just a warning note, Marv. Suetonius was not contemporary with Julio-Claudian events at all. Nor was Tacitus. The only Roman historians who 'were there' at the time were Velleius Paterculus, Asinius Pollio and Livy - and Livy's work for the Julio-Claudian period is largely lost, and Pollio's hasn't survived at all, as far as I am aware. But some valuable insights can be gleaned by reading between the lines in the poets too: Horace, Virgil, Ovid, to name the 'big three'.

Thanks for everything.

I do know that neither Suetonius nor Tacitus were contemporaries (they served under Hadrian if my memory serves me right). however, I do think they had access to information that we do not have, such as lost books, etc.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Marv-o-matic. The only washer you'll ever need :lol: