UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Caesar CXXXVII

Caesar "illegal" march - T.D. Barnes view

Disagreement and dialogue advance knowledge. Each one may then elect as he legitimately chooses.

Amen !

Me love Democracy , me love freedom of choise . Edit : Me love knowledge .

Edited by Caesar CXXXVII

Yep, C 137, so let us all not befoul this one with polemics and ad hominem aspersions.

G.O.

I should tell you , whenever the cato will say "nonsense" (and he is the one and only that uses that word in this forum) to any of a member's opinion you will see a personal response . I am not Jesus , I have respect to others opinions and want an academic discussions , not childish one as "you the Caesarians are talking nonsense..." and all that crap . What there is here to explain ?

That is all .

Legal-schmegal!...I thought the argument was that the Classical Quarterly article says the nobility didn't support Pompey and Cato et al. (leges silentum intra armas)

If this means that the vast majority of the senators supported Curios' proposal that both dynasts disarm, I think most will agree.

If it means that important nobiles supported Caesar I have my doubts.

Syme says the only supporters among the consulars were Cn Domitius Calvinus, Gabinius and Valerius Messala (all of whom had been condemned for electoral fraud!). L Marcius Phillipus (like his father in Sullas' day) and Marcellus (who had placed the sword in Pompeys hand!) discovered marriage connections that kept them neutral, as did L Calpurnius Piso (Caesars father in law). Besides these, weren't most of Caesars' supporters young nobles like Curio and Antonius and decayed patricians like Fabius Maximus, Claudius Nero, Aemilius Lepidus and Cornelius Dollabella looking to restore the family fortunes?

Edited by Pompieus

Legal-schmegal!...I thought the argument was that the Classical Quarterly article says the nobility didn't support Pompey and Cato et al. (leges silentum intra armas)

If this means that the vast majority of the senators supported Curios' proposal that both dynasts disarm, I think most will agree.

If it means that important nobiles supported Caesar I have my doubts.

Syme says the only supporters among the consulars were Cn Domitius Calvinus, Gabinius and Valerius Messala (all of whom had been condemned for electoral fraud!). L Marcius Phillipus (like his father in Sullas' day) and Marcellus (who had placed the sword in Pompeys hand!) discovered marriage connections that kept them neutral, as did L Calpurnius Piso (Caesars father in law). Besides these, weren't most of Caesars' supporters young nobles like Curio and Antonius and decayed patricians like Fabius Maximus, Claudius Nero, Aemilius Lepidus and Cornelius Dollabella looking to restore the family fortunes?

read it again - This is , in short T.D. Barnes and D.R. Shackleton Bailey (two Giants) view - "Shackleton-Bailey showed in 1960 that the great mass of the nobility did not stand with Pompey against Caesar

'leet' Caesar (137),

I'm going to have to ask you to quit bringing your personal feelings about other members into your arguments, especially when it is immaterial to the discussion at hand.

If you can't do that, you may have to be put on moderated status.

'leet' Caesar (137),

I'm going to have to ask you to quit bringing your personal feelings about other members into your arguments, especially when it is immaterial to the discussion at hand.

If you can't do that, you may have to be put on moderated status.

As I said to you on PM , do what you have to do .

You choose to ignore this "I have respect to others opinions and want an academic discussions , not childish one as "you the Caesarians are talking nonsense..." . O.K.

Enough for me .

Gentles All:

Let's all have a whiskey and simmer down. I am guilty of what is happening; but I have found out that if I feel slighted, a PM usually cures it and we become friends. Everyone has his eccentricities, so lets just accept them and move on from there. No point in losing good people.

Gentles All:

Let's all have a whiskey and simmer down. I am guilty of what is happening; but I have found out that if I feel slighted, a PM usually cures it and we become friends. Everyone has his eccentricities, so lets just accept them and move on from there. No point in losing good people.

Well, as we all love ancient roman history there is probably somthing wrong with each of us. If we jump to the throats of others only for the reason that we dont agree with them about somthing what happend over 2000 years ago, it means that we really need medical help :angry:

Well, as we all love ancient roman history there is probably somthing wrong with each of us. If we jump to the throats of others only for the reason that we dont agree with them about somthing what happend over 2000 years ago, it means that we really need medical help :lol:

If only the rest of the World would see it so clearly.