UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Favourite guitarist of all time?

WotWotius

My favourite guitarist is without a shadow of a doubt Angus Young, the lead guitarist of one of the Australia's greatest bands, AC/DC!

Also, Mark Knopfler is one of my favourite guitarists.

Steve Vai is not bad either.

Edited by Tobias

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yngwie Malmsteen, Uli Jon Roth (it was part in the rather disapointing Therion concert 2 weeks ago and he did not look happy), Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Al Di Meola and Gary Moore. I should also mention Santana.

What a gorgeous thread! And just what we need after all our Christmas hangovers.....

Well, Number One for me is Hendrix. But then, you see, I have this thing for Richie Blackmore - especially his solo on Sweet Child in Time. As far as I'm concerned, that solo is better than sex.

My real soft spot though - due to my age - is Mick Ronson. OK - he wasn't the most accomplished guitarist in the world, but there was just this raw sexual attraction when he was prowling about on stage .. it added so much to the Ziggy tours of 1972 and 1973. His solo during Width of a Circle was superb.

But now, like all my heroes, he's dead.....

Django Reinhardt, the best guitarist who ever lived. Every guitar riff in popular music goes right back to him, and he was Jimi Hendrix - and thus rock's - greatest influence. Closely followed by Brian Setzer. What a genius he is! Every riff he plays reminds me of days of outrunning mods at Brighton seafront on my BSA A65 Spitfire, Lancashire rose cheerfully emblazoned on my black, studded leather, Brylcreem melting and running down my Mark 8 RAF issue goggles. And that was only this summer...!

Edited by Northern Neil

As anyone mentioned Eric Claptopn yet?

I love the fact that Something In The Way by George Harrison and Clapton's Wonderful Tonight (or was it Layla?) were both inspired by the same woman.

Closely followed by Brian Setzer. What a genius he is!

Good mention there...I love how he's re-arranged the big band standards into guitar-anchored pieces.

As anyone mentioned Eric Claptopn yet?

Eh, Clapton's ok...not bad in the blues/rock department. I prefer BB King and the like, personally, but he's not one to sniff at.

What a gorgeous thread! And just what we need after all our Christmas hangovers.....

Well, Number One for me is Hendrix. But then, you see, I have this thing for Richie Blackmore - especially his solo on Sweet Child in Time. As far as I'm concerned, that solo is better than sex.

My real soft spot though - due to my age - is Mick Ronson...

I just put Rainbow's Live in Germany '76 on my MP3 player a week or two ago. Very much worth a listen if you're a fan. You remind me though, I need to put Hunky Dory and/or Ziggy Stardust on as well, absolute classics.

My own favorites would be Michael Akerfeldt or Jimmy Page... not to say that they are the best, but that their work is the most appealing to me.

I will second this completely. I am still thankful to Moon every day for introducing me to Opeth. (much to the general chagrin of my wife though) =P