UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Quintus

Calling all ancient Greeks

Thanks to one and all! I agree with you Octavius about the Greek curse stuff...mabey in a year or two.

My poor english had me miss a "r" in the thread title and I was ready for the call.

Still, since I'm here, can you tell me who is turmenting youngsters with ancient greek? And a reason why will help me.

I'm taking Greek during my lunch period, so it's really me tormenting myself, but as much as I complain about it there is a strange glory in being able to say something no one else in the school will understand under one's breath from time to time. :romansoldier: For starters could any one tell me the difference between actual and natural result--I couldn't find the answer on any web-sites and text book definitions are harder to translate into regular english than the Greek itself!

P.S. I'm sure your not a geek Kosmo, if that's what you meant.

Edited by Quintus

Phish, everyone knows that a commonly used curse phrase in Greek is:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

this is excellent, I own it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Ancient-Gree...TF8&s=books

but I suspect AD will say , learn modern Greek its the same!

FOR SHAME! And on Christmas! Corrupting the morals of a minor! Assuming that you are not putting us on - I'll find out! My lictors may have to deal with you.

Anyway mine starts with the letter ' '.

You know what, "corrupting the youth[morals of a minor]" makes me sound like Socrates!

this is excellent, I own it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Ancient-Gree...TF8&s=books

but I suspect AD will say , learn modern Greek its the same!

Learn Modern Greek! That may hold some truth, but the words used in Ancient/Attic Greek means/is completely different from the modern ones.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

Learn Modern Greek! That may hold some truth, but the words used in Ancient/Attic Greek means/is completely different from the modern ones.

I was just about to say this...there is quite the difference, and I believe that AD and others have stated this elsewhere on this board, and in more detail.

Thanks for protecting me from the corruption of FVC, Octavius. :lol:

Although I want to learn modern Greek eventually, I'm already confused enough learning ancient greek. If anyone knows anything about the result clauses question above, please tell me! It's a real obstacle and the only companion I have is a 50 year old greek text book entitled a new introduction to greek

Thanks for protecting me from the corruption of FVC, Octavius. :lol:

Although I want to learn modern Greek eventually, I'm already confused enough learning ancient greek. If anyone knows anything about the result clauses question above, please tell me! It's a real obstacle and the only companion I have is a 50 year old greek text book entitled a new introduction to greek

The only useful thing I can say is that you should try comparing it with the Latin construction to help a little, although I'm pretty sure Attic Greek has different variations.

I couldn't find any Latin constructions like this, the Romans seemed to clump it all together into purpose clauses. Mabey natural result is like a result clause in Latin and actual result is like the regular purpose clause, but that's just a theory I have. If anyone has anything to say about memorizing the dative plural of the third declension I could use that too, I'm utterly and completely confused now. :lol:

Quintus, here is your Saturnalia present:

http://www.vroma.org/~abarker/tschapseventeen.html

:ph34r: "mabey" ? ?Que? ;):ph34r:MAYBE :D

:lol: Mabey you should do a little work on yer inglishe spelling first! :angry:

If you are not careful, you mabey teletransported to the Dark Side of the Moon where you kin keep :lol: & :mummy: company!

Where is My Lord of the Greeks :notworthy: , Don Giovanni, in all this?

:D

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Sorry about that :) , in my defense it was a little late when I wrote that and I was only half conscious, but even when I am awake, I'm a pretty terrible speller. Tell me if you catch anything else, it helps me.

By the way, thanks for the Saturnalia present, my understanding of the whole result clause thing is still a bit foggy, but it's getting better.

Edited by Quintus