UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Calling all ancient Greeks

Quintus

Learning...no suffering ancient Greek, need help. :blowup:

Anyone who has been enlightened by the gods and had any success with language, hear my anguished cries of pain! I'm going mostly by the text book, with little help from actual people and those brave souls who try to help me have fading memories and usually succeed in confusing me more than the text book, and that's saying something.

For now all I need is someone to tell me the difference between an actual result clause and a natural result clause. I know Latin, so drawing parallels with that is always good for me. Thanks!

Edited by Quintus

Give this a whirl:

http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~econrad/lang/latin.html

and

http://www.englishpage.com/index.html

and

http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/

Edited by Gaius Octavius

We can always count on the great Gaius Octavius for web links, if I could say thanks in Greek, I would.

Okay, never mind, my parnets wouldn't let me register for any online couses, but thanks anyway. Mabey in a year or two...

In the mean time I still need Greeks!

Edited by Quintus

We can always count on the great Gaius Octavius for web links, if I could say thanks in Greek, I would. :D

I didn't want to ruin your Latin thread with:

"God blesses those who speak Latin." - Don Camillo, in Giovanni Guareschi's books.

FY further I: God speaks Latin; lives in the Vatican and has a nice plate of lasagna with the Pope on Sunday after Mass! ;)

I can teach you a curse phrase in Greek (phonetically), if you like. Via PM, of course. :D

Thanks for the compliment. :notworthy:

:ph34r:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Sorry, sorry! It wasn't Don Camillo! It was the Communist mayor of their town in northern Italy. :D

The two always split a bottle of Lambrusco together. A great wine with fizz and not very expensive. :ph34r:

:D

Edited by Gaius Octavius

In the mean time I still need Greeks!

Will try to find an open site for you. When My Lord of the Greeks, Pantagathus :notworthy:, returns from a bout with Bacchus, he will be of service. :drunk: DocofLove 1974(?) :wub:, when this gets to la-la land, will also be of service - after she recovers from her Ramos Fizzes. :drunk:

:D

Now that is humor! :lol:

sorry but being the classics nerd I am, I don't know what a PM is...but I am interested. :D

:ph34r: PM = private message, as in the 'pm' under your identification box to the left of your post. Will send you one now. :no2:

;)

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Quintus, scratch the curse phrase, seems you are a little too young to hear such things. Your parents wouldn't approve. ;) Ditto with the Lambrusco. :D Don't want to be hauled before the magistrates for impairing the morals of a minor. :D

Try this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/greek/

:ph34r:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

[DocofLove 1974(?) :wub: , when this gets to la-la land, will also be of service - after she recovers from her Ramos Fizzes. :drunk:

Ack...Hellenic isn't my strength...but...

I don't know how useful this is, but that's all I got. Sorry!

What a fascinating resource! Thanks Doc!

[DocofLove 1974(?) :wub: , when this gets to la-la land, will also be of service - after she recovers from her Ramos Fizzes. :drunk:

Ack...Hellenic isn't my strength...but...

I don't know how useful this is, but that's all I got. Sorry!

:wub:

Thank you so very much for your Christmas present. Going to enjoy it for a very long time. I will always try to credit you when I cite the site.

Hope that Quintus and Philhellene see this.

:blink:

:wub:

Thank you so very much for your Christmas present. Going to enjoy it for a very long time. I will always try to credit you when I cite the site.

Hope that Quintus and Philhellene see this.

Heh no problem. But don't credit me on the cite, per se--I love it, and one of the directors of the Indo-European Typology program in the Linguistics Research Program is my mentor at UT (Dr. Brigitte Bauer), but I'm still learning everything on there!

Edited by docoflove1974

My poor english had me miss a "r" in the thread title and I was ready for the call.

Still, since I'm here, can you tell me who is turmenting youngsters with ancient greek? And a reason why will help me.