UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Unpublished Portrait of Caligula?

Joe Geranio

Go to http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=8458991&size=l For photo.

D. Boschung an Art Historian from Germany put a work together called, "Die Bildnisse des Caligula", which had all extant portraits of Caligula. I am very inerested in this photo because it has the physiognomy of Caligula and agrees numismatically. This portrait was not in Boschungs' work, so; it has really sparked my interest. A great find!! The portrait resides at The Museo Archeologico dei Campi Flegrei in Baia.

Photo courtesy Mr. Jennings.

Joe Geranio

Edited by Joe Geranio

D. Boschung an Art Historian from Germany put a work together called, "Die Bildnisse des Caligula", which had all extant portraits of Caligula. I am very inerested in this photo because it has the physiognomy of Caligula and agrees numismatically. This portrait was not in Boschungs' work, so; it has really sparked my interest. A great find!! The portrait resides at The Museo Archeologico dei Campi Flegrei in Baia.

Joe Geranio

Are you sure this portrait has not been published before? It looks like the very first portrait of Caligula I saw. In fact, I saw it first in the Volume of Plates to the Cambridge Ancient History Vols IX and X. This used to be known as the 'Copenhagen' head because it was found in Asia Minor and is to be seen in the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek.

Joe Geranio

Are you sure this portrait has not been published before? It looks like the very first portrait of Caligula I saw. In fact, I saw it first in the Volume of Plates to the Cambridge Ancient History Vols IX and X. This used to be known as the 'Copenhagen' head because it was found in Asia Minor and is to be seen in the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek.

No this is not the NY Glyptotek Copenhagen type. The Getty head is from Asia minor. You may have it confused with that head. All great portraits seem to come from Asia Minor, and as I mentioned this portrait resides at The Museo Archeologico dei Campi Flegrei in Baia.

Joe Geranio

No this is not the NY Glyptotek Copenhagen type. The Getty head is from Asia minor. You may have it confused with that head. All great portraits seem to come from Asia Minor, and as I mentioned this portrait resides at The Museo Archeologico dei Campi Flegrei in Baia.

I have also sent the photo to a few art historians and they have never seen the head? It is not in the exhaustive work by D. Boschung of all extant portraits of Caligula in the round called, "Die Bildnisse des Caligula"?