UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Gladius Hispaniensis

Belisarius' campaigns

Hello

I am looking for a good book on the campaigns of Belisarius. Can anyone recommend any literature on the subject?

The Life of Belisarius by Philip Henry Stanhope , 460 pages , printed in 1848 and again , now in 2006 ! - A very good one !

The Hero of Byzantium: Based on the Life of General Belisarius (above) by Joseph Lessard , 2005 , 180 pages

Edit - Of course - History of the Later Roman Empire, From the Death of Theodosius I to the Death of Justinian by by John B. Bury , 1958

Enjoy ! :)

Edited by Caesar CXXXVII

Thank you gentlemen. I shall now search the public library :)

The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon has quite a lot to say on the career of Belisarius.

Take a look

http://www.ccel.org/g/gibbon/decline/volume2/chap41.htm

Hope this helps.

Byzantium The Early Centuries by John Julius Norwich. Has alot to say on Belisarius and his Italian campaigns!

After Belisarius and Narses put down the Nika revolt in 523, Justinian rewarded his general with command of a huge expedition against the Vandal kingdom of North Africa, under Gelimer. Justinian landed near Leptis Magna in early 533, and proceeded to follow the old Roman road north to Carthage.

Ten miles from Carthage, the armies of Belisarius and Gelimer met in the battle of Ad Decimum. Gelimer was strongly positioned and as such, Belisarius was wary of giving battle at first. This resulted in some small skirmishing among the cavalry units for a short time, until Belisarius let loose his Hun cavalry reserves, routing the Vandal cavalry. Gelimer's brother was killed in the melee, and Belisarius ordered his infantry to advance. The battle was waged for an hour or more, until Gelimer came upon his brother's body on the battlefield. At this blow, the fight went out of him, and he began to flee. His army followed, and was cut down while routing. Belisarius went on to capture Carthage, and later captured Gelimer at the Battle of Ticameron in December of 533.

For this brilliant campaign, Belisarius was awarded the last recorded triumph in Roman history, and was appointed Consul. However, he would have little time to rest, for in 535 Justinian ordered an attack on the Ostrogothic kingdom of Italy.

Belisarius invaded the peninsula via Sicily, and quickly subdued the island. He crossed the straits of Messina and proceeded north to Naples, which was put to the sword after a brutal siege. He tarried at Naples for most of that campaign season, presumably arranging for the Papal invite that would ensure him the acceptance of the Roman people. This received, he proceeded north and entered Rome in late 536.

The following year, Belisarius and his army withstood a 13 month siege of Rome, which was only broken when the Goths ran out of forage. He followed on their heels and captured Milan, being received by the Archbishop with open arms. After several years of raiding, Belisarius advanced on the last Ostrogothic stronghold of Ravenna. The Gothic nobles offered to surrender to Belisarius on condition that he proclaim himself Emperor of the West - he accepted, and entered Ravenna, where he proceeded to execute Witiges, the Ostrogothic king, and revoke his vow.

Justinian was disturbed by Belisarius' maneuver, and recalled him to the East to fight an inconclusive war with Persia in 541-542. He appointed three generals to take joint control of Italy, but they were quickly overwhelmed by the new Ostrogothic king, Totila, who managed to recapture all of Italy north of and including Rome. Belisarius returned in 544, and managed to reclaim Italy south of the Po, but was hampered by a pronounced lack of supplies and reinforcements - Justinian replaced him with Narses in 548, and it was he who managed to finally bring the war to a successful conclusion.

Belisarius' last campaign was in 559, against an invasion of Bulgars from across the Danube, who he managed to rout within sight of the Theodosian walls.

Belisarius is primarily remembered for his superior use of inferior forces (his defense of Rome was undertaken with only 500 soldiers, and he was beset by approximately 20,000). He also brought the Byzantine army to the peak of its efficiency, outmaneuvering and outgeneraling his Gothic and Vandal opponents. The development of the bandon (a Byzantine tactical unit) and the standardized equipment of the Byzantine horse archer/lancer cavalrymen are attributed to him.

Edited by L. Quintus Sertorius

If you'd want to check out first hand accounts about Belisarius a good place to start would be the work of Procopius. You'd better take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt though. In one chapter of his secret history he says that Justinian was responsible for killing a billion people in Africa. He really didn't like Justinian and Theodora.

I've become quite interested in the story of Belisarius and am thinking about ordering this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belisarius-Great-G...TF8&s=books

Has anybody read this? Would you recommend it?

I've become quite interested in the story of Belisarius and am thinking about ordering this book

It is very old fashioned and takes everything that Procopius writes in his 'Histories' as true, and makes no attempt at either analysing or evaluating either Procopius as a historian or Belisarius as a general. In short, it's just hero worship. That said, it's one of the few books available and is fairly cheap. I own a second-hand copy.

To anybody interested, I am currently writing a book on Belisarius and, hopefully, it should be out either later this year or sometime in the new year. I'm not claiming that it will be brilliant, I'm just saying it will be there!!

Edited by sonic

It is very old fashioned and takes everything that Procopius writes in his 'Histories' as true, and makes no attempt at either analyzing or evaluating either Procopius as a historian or Belisarius as a general. In short, it's just hero worship. That said, it's one of the few books available and is fairly cheap. I own a second-hand copy.

To anybody interested, I am currently writing a book on Belisarius and, hopefully, it should be out either later this year or sometime in the new year. I'm not claiming that it will be brilliant, I'm just saying it will be there!!

Well since I posted that comment I've bought and read that book and thought it was a very good biography of Belisarius, I know that Procopius could exaggerate the truth a bit, but I would be very interested in seeing your different interpretation of Belisarius and particularly your sources, bearing in mind that in that era the only reputable source you have are Procopius and the Greek historian Agathias which are both pretty favorable to Belisarius on the whole.

Please let me know about the release date of your new book, I'll be very interested in reading it.

It is very old fashioned and takes everything that Procopius writes in his 'Histories' as true, and makes no attempt at either analyzing or evaluating either Procopius as a historian or Belisarius as a general. In short, it's just hero worship. That said, it's one of the few books available and is fairly cheap. I own a second-hand copy.

Well since I posted that comment I've bought and read that book and thought it was a very good biography of Belisarius, I know that Procopius could exaggerate the truth a bit, but I would be very interested in seeing your different interpretation of Belisarius and particularly your sources, bearing in mind that in that era the only reputable source you have are Procopius and the Greek historian Agathias which are both pretty favorable to Belisarius on the whole.

Please let me know about the release date of your new book, I'll be very interested in reading it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'll let you know as soon as I know myself, but it won't be for quite a while yet. I'm trying to look at Belisarius from a military point of view, rather than simply repeating the sources. I haven't made up my mind yet what my interpretation is going to be - I haven't quite finished the book. Until I've gone through everything in as much detail as I can I'm trying to keep an open mind; I'm trying not to fall into the trap of bringing my own misconceptions into the story. We''l just have to see if I can manage it!