UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Top 10 Discoveries of 2006

How do you know it's been an extraordinary year in archaeology? When the discovery of the earliest Maya writing and a 2,500-year-old sarcophagus decorated with scenes from the Iliad don't crack ARCHAEOLOGY's Top 10 List.

Archaeology.org

I liked the Brazilian Stonehenge the most, but there are several nice discoveries on the list.

I didn't even know about the Scythian mummy!

There was a program about her on PBS (Nova?). She was found with a number of items that indicated that she was noble or rich. A spear point was also found which indicated (perhaps) that she was an 'Amazon'. Her DNA was traced to a living Mongolian girl. It seemed to indicate that European types migrated east.

I am a little foggy here, so take what I am saying with a grain of salt. I HOPE that I have the general idea right.

Her DNA was traced to a living Mongolian girl. It seemed to indicate that European types migrated east.

If her DNA was traceable in modern-day Mongolians, how does it indicate Europeans moved east across Asia?

Edited by votadini

Her DNA was traced to a living Mongolian girl. It seemed to indicate that European types migrated east.

If her DNA was traceable in modern-day Mongolians, how does it indicate Europeans moved east across Asia?

First. A living Mongolian girl. She did have blondish hair.

Second. I have no idea as to how or why the scientists came to that conclusion.

Third. See my 'qualifiers'.

In addition, other bodies have been found in western China, which have European artifacts, clothing (with tartan like designs), red hair and other European features. I don't remember the period of time to which they were traced back to.

In another part of China (south east?), the Chinese of a small town claim Roman roots. This was discussed earlier on a thread here. Don't know how to get at it. If my memory serves, 'Liquan' was the Chinese name for Rome. Roman soldiers supposedly were captured by the Parthians who then posted them to guard their eastern frontier. Somehow they allegedly got to China and built a walled town (above).