UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Clibanarius

Hello

I am researching about the late roman army.

I have done some sketches and illustrations about diferent troop types, including clibanarius like this one.

99b.jpg

It depicts a 3rd century AD clibanrius.

However I would like some imput about the correctness of his equipment.

Can anyone be of assistance?

Happy new year to all members

Best regards

JP Vieira

I do not know of the correctness of this, but I once saw a drawing of a clibanrius with a conical helmet (combined with the chain mail it gave him the appearance of an iron starfish actually). I don't remember what book it was in unfortunately, something from the school library and I no longer have access to it.

Clibanarii were inspired by persian cataphracts who had conical style helmets. Their appearance would have been similar. Most representations of clibanarii show them with persian style helmets and I wonder if there's any archaeological evidence for that?

An excellent reconstruction JP! The Heddernheim style helmet and the armour of the horse is very well done, as well as being contempory with the 3rd Century. The armour is also well made, similar to that displayed on wall paintings in Dura Europus in Iraq.

Id like to see a picture of the roman legion at 400AD compared to the 150AD legion.

Here is a reconstruction photograph from the Fectio Late Roman re-enactment group.

nijmegen2005_17.jpg

Ok. According to my reading the clibanarii used sarmatian style helmets (spangenhelm), sort of a rounded conical style, increasingly popular in the late empire. It is possible that some cavalrymen used helmets of the nature portrayed above as a matter of local supply.

I found this little piece of infomation by the greek historian Ammianus Marcellinus describing the clibinarii cavalry of Shapur II

All the companies were clad in iron, and all parts of their bodies were covered with thick plates, so fitted that the stiff-joints conformed with those of their limbs; and the forms of human faces were so skilfully fitted to their heads, that since their entire body was covered with metal, arrows that fell upon them could lodge only where they could see a little through tiny openings opposite the pupil of the eye, or where through the tip of their nose they were able to get a little breath. Of these some who were armed with pikes, stood so motionless that you would have thought them held fast by clamps of bronze.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

I found this little piece of infomation by the greek historian Ammianus Marcellinus describing the clibinarii cavalry of Shapur II

All the companies were clad in iron, and all parts of their bodies were covered with thick plates, so fitted that the stiff-joints conformed with those of their limbs; and the forms of human faces were so skilfully fitted to their heads, that since their entire body was covered with metal, arrows that fell upon them could lodge only where they could see a little through tiny openings opposite the pupil of the eye, or where through the tip of their nose they were able to get a little breath. Of these some who were armed with pikes, stood so motionless that you would have thought them held fast by clamps of bronze.

Hope this helps.

Ave Gaius

Could you tell me which book of Ammianus Marcellinus you are quoting from?

Could you tell me which book of Ammianus Marcellinus you are quoting from?

I dont know what the book was originally called, but Ammianus' writings are published by Penguin Classics, under the name 'The Later Roman Empire'. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Later-Roman-Empire...TF8&s=books

I do not know of the correctness of this, but I once saw a drawing of a clibanrius with a conical helmet (combined with the chain mail it gave him the appearance of an iron starfish actually). I don't remember what book it was in unfortunately, something from the school library and I no longer have access to it.

Based on you description (iron starfish) I think I know what picture you are talking about. Give me a while and I will try finding it. I think that it was a picture of a Parthian from Dura Eurotas.