UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Caesar CXXXVII

Titus death - your opinion

September 81 - Titus is on his way to his father's villa in the Sabine country . he died (Suet. Tit. 10.1.)

Plutarch said that Titus was dead because of his illness (De Sanitate Tuenda 3)

According to Suetonius , Domitianus left his brother to die from malaria (Suet. Dom. 2.3)

According to Dio Cassius , Domitianus actualy submerged his brother in snow and killed him (Dio 66.26.2-3)

according to Aurelius Victor (and others) , Domitianus poisoned Titus to death (De Caes. 10.11)

Many Scholars are saying that he died of a fever

What do you think ?

P.S. - According to the Babylonian Talmud a mosquito flew in Titus' nose and picked at his brain (such a punish for the destraction of the temple...)

P.S. 2 - "I have made but one mistake.", last words of Titus - what did he meant ?

Edited by Caesar CXXXVII

I think we can safely acquit the mosquito of any blame. Have Talmud arrested for wasting the senates time!

The trouble with roman deaths is that they never did an autopsy. A person dies in discomfort. Was it fever? Or was it poison? Without a scientific test and bearing in mind the unsophisticated anatomical knowledge of most romans there really isn't much visual difference.

As for Titus's mistake, who knows? Maybe he forgot to feed the dog? Was he referring to a religious mistake? had he upset the gods somehow? But it is an interesting thing to say on your deathbed, and quite possibly he believed he'd left himself open to attack.

Domitian got reported as smothering titus in snow for dramatic effect. The author believed him responsible for his brothers death obviously, and it it is within the bounds of reason that he had a hand in it. I just don't think the 'hollywood' style murder took place. If it got reported, then there were witnesses, so why wasn't that story universally accepted as historical fact?

Really the only choices are death by disease or suspicious substances. Take your pick, because we'll probably never know. Given the state of roman health, despite the hygiene available to wealthy romans, I suspect it was no more than disease. Domitian of course was under suspicion of nefarious deeds because thats the kind of guy he was.

Ibid " Titus" 10

" Feeling that his end was approaching , he opened the curtains of his litter on his way to the Cutilian Springs, and looking wistfully into the Heavens , pathetically exclaimed that he did not deserve to die, for, with one exception, there was none of his acts that needed to be repented of"

Natural Causes.

Good points .

Maybe the controversy emerged because of the unique combination of very short reign and , apparently death of natural causes and not from old age . Let me see , it did not happen ever again until........ WOW

Good points .

Maybe the controversy emerged because of the unique combination of very short reign and , apparently death of natural causes and not from old age . Let me see , it did not happen ever again until........ WOW

Another good point; Titus was 42.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

They could have done an autopsy on Titus, but Roman law forbade it. Talk about irony. The Romans have the crucifixion, the coliseum, etc., but they don't want human bodies desecrated. Galen complained of this when he did his medical examinations in front of the public. He was forced to use pigs, which led him to many of the same conclusions had he done his operations on humans. Unfortunately for him, he reached many wrong conclusions because humans and pigs are different creatures. He did learn a lot from causes of death though by looking over the bodies of dead gladiators. Titus's mistake was probably allowing his brother to live. Domitian was power hungry and in all reality, gave the Flavian dynasty a bad reputation. It probably didn't help that Titus burned down the temple either.