UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Financial Information.

I've taken a sudden interest in investment after my aunt and uncle bought me a book on the subject.

I wish now that I had when I was your age. :ph34r: Go for it. It will be almost essential anyways, later on.

For both of you. Get yourselves USED basic accounting and economics books. (Should cost no more than a dollar, if you can't pick them up off of a stoop.) Learn the terms at least. Always keep in mind that most, if not all, of the information you get from corporations is a crock of lies and remember that your broker is working for himself.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

• 1 year later...
Always keep in mind that most, if not all, of the information you get from corporations is a crock of lies and remember that your broker is working for himself.

This NEWS ITEM will get very little play in the news, but everyone should be gravely concerned about the twin agencies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. This speaks to the Congress' role in a mess that has building for more than a decade. Compared to the possibilities in this item, the failure of one or two large banks is peanuts. By not properly overseeing these two huge GSE (Government Sponsored Enterprise) Corporations, all private entities have left the marketplace to them, creating a monopoly, but worse yet an implied guarantee by the US government to back them to the hilt regardless of the cost to taxpayers, if, but more to the point, when they fail.

.....Yet there is little evidence the real lessons have sunk in. Just as the grave risks Fannie and Freddie create for taxpayers are finally being recognized, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson were asking a seemingly compliant Congress to involve the Fed in supervising the largest investment banks -- which will only create similar risks elsewhere in the economy.....has led the capital markets to believe, correctly, that the U.S. government will never allow Fannie and Freddie to fail.

..... The result has been a complete loss of market discipline, uncontrolled growth, and the development of two giant companies whose deteriorated financial condition now threatens the stability of both the U.S. and the world economy. The story of Fannie and Freddie is a cautionary tale about the moral hazard created by government support for private institutions -- a tale we saw played out in the S&L debacle less than 20 years ago, and one we may be about to inflict on ourselves again.

The paradox in this situation, will not be the realization for people that government fails, and as little as possible should be left up to government, but instead that there be more government involvement in our lives to make certain that institutions don't fail.

Their main patrons in Congress

Edited by Faustus