UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

primus inter pares

nitangae

• 2 weeks later...

Literally, it means "first among equals", which is somewhat of a paradox: how can one be first when everyone is the same? But then again, while trying to restore the values of the old Republic (or Res Publica - the Public Property/Cause), in which citizens were supposedly "equal", Augustus, as the first emperor was termed the "princeps", or first citizen, and consequently was placed above everyone else.

More generally, it would also mean that one is the best of the best, in that given equal circumstances, the best (contestant) will come out on top, or first.

Edited by Semper Inquietus

I believe that Ursus is correct. I have seen it in a biography of Augustus. It also applied to later emperors. During the Republic, there was a 'first man' of the senate who had the right to speak first on matters before the body.

It is alo involved in the controversy between the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches. On the one hand, the Pope has primacy; on the other he is first among equals.

• 1 month later...
I believe that Ursus is correct. I have seen it in a biography of Augustus. It also applied to later emperors. During the Republic, there was a 'first man' of the senate who had the right to speak first on matters before the body.

It is alo involved in the controversy between the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches. On the one hand, the Pope has primacy; on the other he is first among equals.

By "biography of Augustus" do you mean classical biography? I have no trouble with the meaning of the phrase - it being fairly simple Latin. But I have had no luck finding when it was first used. I wonder if it might be a post-Roman phrase?

Yours,

Adam

Although this may not be of much help regarding the origin of the phrase primus inter pares, I found it interesting that Colleen McCullough used the phrase within a passage describing the ambitious musings of Julius Caesar (in her book Caesar's Women):

Though Caesar's ambition extended beyond leading his own faction; he wanted to become an institution called the First Man in Rome. Primus inter pares, the first among his equals, all things to all men, owning the most auctoritas, the most dignitas, the First Man in Rome was clout personified.

-- Nephele

Although this may not be of much help regarding the origin of the phrase primus inter pares, I found it interesting that Colleen McCullough used the phrase within a passage describing the ambitious musings of Julius Caesar (in her book Caesar's Women):

Though Caesar's ambition extended beyond leading his own faction; he wanted to become an institution called the First Man in Rome. Primus inter pares, the first among his equals, all things to all men, owning the most auctoritas, the most dignitas, the First Man in Rome was clout personified.

-- Nephele

Nice find Nephele! I too had found the term used by McCullough as early as "First Man in Rome", the first book in the series, but I have still been unable to find the actual term in Latin in any source before Augustus. The Masters of Rome Series was very well researched so I thought this might mean hope that I could find a source that would show this term was in use before the imperatorial period and principate.

However, I have found since that from time to time McCullough did borrow terms and concepts from the principate and apply them to her stories set in the late Republic (Another common example being property qualifications for knights and senators). As such, I think that her use of "primus inter pares"is another example of this type of borrowing.