UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Anthonius

What germanic tribe do you like best?

I must admit, I'm a little more interested in the history of the various barbarian tribes than roman history, and the poll about what roman city you liked best inspired me..

What (germanic) tribe do you like more? I've used Tacitus' "Germania". A poll about kelt tribes may follow.

There are too many good choices. What period are we discussing here? My absolute favorites are the Vikings. Since they fought with/for the Byzantine Romans they are somewhat appropriate.

If we are looking at the classical period, I would go for the coalition of tribes under Odoacer that ended the Roman Empire.

If we are looking at the classical period, I would go for the coalition of tribes under Odoacer that ended the Roman Empire.

Oh, I forgot. I meant the tribes that interacted or co-existed with the roman empire.

None of them - despite (probably) having Angle, Saxon and Frankish genes. They ushered in a period of moribund drabness which lasted for hundreds of years.

The Chatti:

'Other tribes may go to battle; the Chatti go to war'.

Another Chatti fan here! Although I do base some of my fervour on the legend of their tying enemy heads to their belts when fighting - which may, of course, be apocryphal! :yes: Any thoughts on this, Wot?

None of them - despite (probably) having Angle, Saxon and Frankish genes. They ushered in a period of moribund drabness which lasted for hundreds of years.

Well, yes - this is the other side of the coin, of course!

I find the Scirian tribe interesting. They were subdued by the Huns and they became their (reluctant) allies. Edeco, the leader of the Scirians, became one of Attila's henchmen and his second in command. Later on, Odoacer another member of the Scirian tribe, overthrew the Western Empire.

Although they aren't well known, they obviously played an important part in the empire's history.

Gotta go with the Cimbri & Teutons. Nice combination of Celto-Germanic stock in their hordes. I have a preferance for the European world circa B.C.E, more so than C.E.

From the descriptions in Tacitus the Chatti sound the most impressive to me as well. But I have also liked the Cherusci, Suebi and Marcomanni for various reasons. I don't think I am up enough on their seperate histories to have a clear favorite yet. The Alani are intriguing also.

You just have to love the Goths. Whatever their faults as a people, on balance the accounts left by Romans (and some of it is very biased in the Goths favour) suggest a decent people bar one or two bad apples such as you get in every society. Rambuctuous for sure, but there's more than a hint of a spirited and lively culture for all its rudeness.