UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
spittle

Rome 2. When in Britain?

I have just re-watched Phillipi. To my growing horror I realised that the brawl in the Synagogue had direct echoes of the brawl in Pilate's House in "Life of Brian" where the PPFJ and the JPPF etc fight each other whilst the Romans look on bemused. I actually couldnt stop laughing ..alas I suspect this was not the intention of the good people at HBO.

Oh, Pertinax - I thought this at the actual time I watched it. And so did the kids (who were actually fans, so they had no nasty preconceptions). We all said that all it needed was the line: "We should unite against the common enemy....." ;)

So! You dare to waid us!

What?

Stwike him wougly Centurion!

Im sorry sir?

Stwike him woughly!

Oh dear.

This was not a good contrast to the execution of Cicero (sadly done as that was in itself) . The horror ...

post-894-1186183275_thumb.jpg

"Oh, and throw him to the floor again sir?"

"What?!?"

"Throw him to the floor again sir?"

"Oh yes... thwow him to the floor!"

"Aaaggghhhh!!!!"

"Quiet Jewish rapscallion!"

"I'm not Jewish, I'm a Roman"

"A Woeman ay!"

"No no... Roman!"

"Stwike him Centuwion - vewy woughly!"

Terrific film The Life of Brian.. terrific!!

"Shutup you!"

Roight.

"I have a vewy gweat fwiend in Wome you know!"

"You know what he's called? Biggus Dickus!!!"

Welease Woderick!

so...I now understand what Gaia asked for to use as an abortifactant on Eirenne, it was our old friend Siliphium the extinct herb. We know from surviving coin images thet the plant was an umbilliferer (that is one of the genus that runs from Hemlock to Angelica via Yarrow and Wild Carrot) .We might surmise that it holds some place between flavouring spice (which role we know it was most desired for ) and to be semi poisonous in greater quantities ..though I would have anticipated its use as a pessary and a tincture to cause abortion.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...=si&img=107

Here is the deadliest of the genus:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1861

Cassius needs ships, men and money: instead he must now train a baboon to amuse the King.

I found this old thread by searching for "baboon." Is there any truth to the tale? Who was that king supposed to be? Cassius raised funds for an army by training a baboon to f*** a Roman woman?