UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Rome 2. When in Britain?

spittle

The absence of 'Rome' on the BBC screens has been confusing me as well. I would have thought they'd start showing by now. Who knows, It might not be shown towards the end of the year- although I hope it won't.

I'd wish the BBC would at least give us some news!

My own guess is that it will be put back until after the new Poliakoff season - the BBC seem to be having something of a love affair with him lately. There's also the new Jane Austen season to contend with. My guess would be a summer showing - i.e. May-September.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's also the new Jane Austen season to contend with. My guess would be a summer showing - i.e. May-September.

Thank you Augusta! Come to think of it, wasn't series one of Rome brodcast around september, or at least the closing months of 2005? You are almost certainly right about the next series being shown around the same time of year.

Someone had very kindly posted segments of season 2 on YouTube, in individual, 20-minute pieces. I was partially keeping up with them until several of them were removed for an unknown reason.

I personally can't wait. Watching all those downloads eats into the limits my uni sets!

Greetings Cassius! It's so nice to see the "the last of the Romans" gracing our forums.

Cheers! Although wasn't that prestigious title also given to Emperor Valens and Flavius Aetius?

Greetings Cassius! It's so nice to see the "the last of the Romans" gracing our forums.

Cheers! Although wasn't that prestigious title also given to Emperor Valens and Flavius Aetius?

True enough, but I've always thought that the Roman historian Cremutius Cordus had it right when he said that Cassius was the "last of the Romans". After Phillipi and after the rights of Romans diminished exponentially, all that were left were Romanaculi.

Well, as I said the BBC have stated a showing in the Spring is what is likely to be their schedule. So a wait until the end of year? I doubt it!! Around April / May? More likely. But caution is erred upon here as I do not wish to be slapped silly at the UK meet in April if I am proved wrong!!! I may turn up in disguise as a lamppost or something... but then dogs come to mind... :whistling:

I'll get my coat!!!!

True enough, but I've always thought that the Roman historian Cremutius Cordus had it right when he said that Cassius was the "last of the Romans". After Phillipi and after the rights of Romans diminished exponentially, all that were left were Romanaculi.

I believe Tacitus also gave Cassius that title.

Edited by WotWotius

True enough, but I've always thought that the Roman historian Cremutius Cordus had it right when he said that Cassius was the "last of the Romans".

Our source regarding Cremutius Cordus is Tacitus. Whether he agreed that Cassius was the last of the Romans, Tacitus doesn't say.

True enough, but I've always thought that the Roman historian Cremutius Cordus had it right when he said that Cassius was the "last of the Romans".

Our source regarding Cremutius Cordus is Tacitus. Whether he agreed that Cassius was the last of the Romans, Tacitus doesn't say.

My apologies. In regards to Cassius he actually said the following:

'The violent deaths of Brutus and Cassius left no Republican force in the field...murder had disposed of all men of spirit.'

I must have mistaken the word 'Republican' for the word 'Roman'.

• 3 weeks later...

Tiniest update here, folks. For all those of you whose tongues are hanging out awaiting the second season, I have just seen an announcement that the first season is to be reshown on UK Drama (one of Sky's channels) starting next week. Now, in my experience, this usually heralds a new seaon starting at the end of that run - so look out for a late May/early June screening on the BBC.

Hope this is helpful.

Tiniest update here, folks. For all those of you whose tongues are hanging out awaiting the second season, I have just seen an announcement that the first season is to be reshown on UK Drama (one of Sky's channels) starting next week. Now, in my experience, this usually heralds a new seaon starting at the end of that run - so look out for a late May/early June screening on the BBC.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for the Update Augusta! There is a good chance that it might be aired around that time. How long has it been since series one was first brodcast in the UK? One year or two years? Either way it's been long. I sincerely hope that series 2 will be worth watching. I've been avoiding threads and news about it, although I have come across some bits and pieces here and there - and from what I've heard, it deviates from the historical record a lot more than the first series. Hmm... If it does do this, then I hope that they at least make it entertaining enough for me to ignore the errors.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for the Update Augusta! There is a good chance that it might be aired around that time. How long has it been since series one was first brodcast in the UK? One year or two years? Either way it's been long. I sincerely hope that series 2 will be worth watching. I've been avoiding threads and news about it, although I have come across some bits and pieces here and there - and from what I've heard, it deviates from the historical record a lot more than the first series. Hmm... If it does do this, then I hope that they at least make it entertaining enough for me to ignore the errors.

I've also been avoiding the many threads that keep popping up on the forum, although I've been very tempted to take a peek to see exactly what's going on but from what I've picked up along the way it sounds like the season 2 hasn't been up to the standard that we've been expecting, I think it may have become more like a novel than being historicaly correct, which is a shame, but I suppose we'll just have to make up our own minds.

Rome is on UKTV Drama this Saturday at 9pm for those who are interested.

Still no word from the Beeb except that it seems their Spring/Summer schedule is sorted for the most part where drama is concerned. So are we now even looking at Autumn or Winter for this to be shown? Or even worse when the run ends on UKTV Drama for Series 1 will we see it there???

We are all yearning this series to be shown soon but I remain a little pessimistic!

• 1 month later...

AT LAST FOLKS - Rome 2 will air in Britain this month - June!!

A trailer is now showing on BBC 2 and their website as yet does not give a start date but it is more than likely two weeks away or so.

This is great news. Whether or not it is a good watch it doesn't matter. At least the BBC have kept their word it would be shown. What a pity it is the last series. Never mind - two series is better than none.

So stay tuned to BBC 2 and watch with excitement!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By now you will have heard of the date of transmission of Rome 2 on BBC 2 this month for the first time. For those who haven't - the date is Wednesday June 20 at 9pm apparenty. I stand corrected if this wrong but I only briefly caught the one preview so far transmitted whilst I was around.

• 2 weeks later...

"Passover" aired tonight. We seem to have veered towards melodrama.The division beetween historical "veracity" and character driven continuity sems to have developed further.