UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

New Article - Pertinax

Great article.

I think the Praetorians and perhaps the Senate had visions of the success of Nerva when they named Pertinax, but things had changed so much in one hundred years. The military and the Praetorians had become the Emperor makers leaving the Senate in an extremely weakened state. Men of the military, especially the foot soldiers don't have the patience of a statesman. Pertinax's short rule is just another Roman tragedy of the Imperial era.

True, Pertinax had the potential to be another Nerva, but the machinations of the praetorians put an end to that possibility. Severus punished them for it of course, but we know how his own authoritative dynastic approach worked out. (Despite having at least temporarily stabilized the political environment)

A wonderful article, PP. This is an era that I am determined to explore, as I find I am becoming more and more interested in the late 2nd/early 3rd centuries. Your article is the perfect place to start. Thank you.

There is one anomaly I'd like to draw attention to. Didius Julianus offered a huge sum of 25,000 sestercii to the praetorians in return for the throne, but wasn't part of the problem that he never actually paid it?

Also it must be said that the behaviour of the praetorians during the reign of pertinax were below expectation. Their disatisfaction resulted from Pertinax's efforts to curb what they regarded as perks. Full marks to Pertinax for bravely facing off the mob that got into the palace - they were let in by their comrades on duty rather than actually storming the place.

There is one anomaly I'd like to draw attention to. Didius Julianus offered a huge sum of 25,000 sestercii to the praetorians in return for the throne, but wasn't part of the problem that he never actually paid it?

The Historia Augusta claimed that he actually paid 30,000. Herodian claimed that the funds simply weren't available at all. Cassius Dio ignores any mention of the actual payment and suggests that it was the opposition of the people that (and hence the rebellions of Niger and Severus) that was the undoing of Julianus.

I am inclined to believe that at least some payment was made, or the praetorians never would've supported him in the face of open public hostility.

wonderful article!

From what I understand, Pertinax gave up his wealth, and in a rather smart move, disinherited his family after being handed the purple. Very good move on his part. At least it saved them from the very fate he knew was going to eventually be passed onto him.

wonderful article!

From what I understand, Pertinax gave up his wealth, and in a rather smart move, disinherited his family after being handed the purple. Very good move on his part. At least it saved them from the very fate he knew was going to eventually be passed onto him.

We can't be entirely sure of his motivation but Cassius Dio makes it seem relatively clear that this was entirely political and not intended to protect his family. Circumstantial prudence did at least have the secondary effect of protecting his family. Interestingly enough, young Helvius Pertinax (the son of the emperor) seemingly became friends with Geta and was done in by Caracalla when he seized lone control after the death of Sept. Severus.

Roman History, Book 74, 7]

Pertinax appointed as prefect of the city his father-in‑law, Flavius Sulpicianus, a man in every way worthy of the office. Yet he was unwilling to make his wife Augusta or his son Caesar, though we granted him permission. In fact, he emphatically rejected both proposals, either because he had not yet firmly rooted his own power or because he did not choose either to let his unchaste consort sully the name of Augusta or to permit his son, who was still a boy, to be spoiled by the glamour and the prospects involved in the title of Caesar before he had received his education. Indeed, he would not even bring him up in the palace, but on the very first day he set aside everything that had belonged to himself previously and divided it between his children (he had also a daughter), and ordered that they should live with their grandfather; there he visited them occasionally, but rather as their father than as emperor.

HA, Life of Caracalla

He (Caracalla) put to death Helvius Pertinax, substitute consul, for no other reason than because he was the son of an emperor, and he would never hesitate, whenever an opportunity presented itself, to put to death those who had been his brother's friends.