UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

Why are you interested in Rome?

Why are you interested in Rome?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What interests you most about Rome?

• Politics and personalities
    • Legions, battles, ancient warfare
    • Culture and daily life
    • Cinematic representations ( "Rome" or "Gladiator")
    • A little bit of everything
    • Other (please explain)

My choice was 'a little bit of everything', but that doesn't really capture the obsession.

As close as I can come to explaining my passion is the rain of tears that [in spite of my best effort to suppress them] cascade down my face when I burst onto Piazza della' Rotunda after dark and behold Hadrian's Pantheon. Of course, every incrotio in Italy provides a similar opportunity to be staggered to tears over the events that took place there and their significance for everything we know, even now.

Last year, I scared the *** out of some Japanese tourists when I bawled like little girl before Titiano's La Venere d'Urbino. [Yeah, not Roman, but I make scant distinction for these high points of Rome's legacy.]

It's to stand in those places and hear all those ancient voices that inrtigue me.

By the way, Fortuna willing I'll turn 60 in Campus Martuis next June.

An early (and envious) "happy birthday" to you.

And, welcome to UNRV. :)

-- Nephele

My choice was 'a little bit of everything', but that doesn't really capture the obsession.

As close as I can come to explaining my passion is the rain of tears that [in spite of my best effort to suppress them] cascade down my face when I burst onto Piazza della' Rotunda after dark and behold Hadrian's Pantheon. Of course, every incrotio in Italy provides a similar opportunity to be staggered to tears over the events that took place there and their significance for everything we know, even now.

Last year, I scared the *** out of some Japanese tourists when I bawled like little girl before Titiano's La Venere d'Urbino. [Yeah, not Roman, but I make scant distinction for these high points of Rome's legacy.]

It's to stand in those places and hear all those ancient voices that inrtigue me.

I absolutely share with you the same passion for the ambience of the eternal city. My last two visits have been based at beautiful apartments - in the same block - in Campus Martius. It is impossible isn't it, to walk into that piazza without a strong emotional response.

What interested me about ancient Rome was the ascent and decline process involved. It was something quite unique in history. Maybe only equaled with the iron dark age (between 1100 BCE and 800 BCE).

I chose other and therefore am required to explain *deep breath*. For me history is a study of the past to seek ideas for the future; why the romans interest me so much if they hadn't of existed we wouldn't be the same today. In essence, I believe, they have shaped the modern world.

p.s. Ok ill admit it the blood and glory might have swung just a bit.

I chose other and therefore am required to explain *deep breath*. For me history is a study of the past to seek ideas for the future; why the romans interest me so much if they hadn't of existed we wouldn't be the same today. In essence, I believe, they have shaped the modern world.

p.s. Ok ill admit it the blood and glory might have swung just a bit.

That is a good enough reason for me. History does show us the way into the future, and without we would be blind.

I chose politics and personalities - even though I'm interested in all aspects of ancient Rome

Being an avid observer of politics in my country, it's natural for me to investigate how politics worked so long ago - and of course, learn about some fascinating characters along the way!

The other thing not specifically mentioned in the poll is the Latin language - being in the health profession, I have used Latin terminology - sometimes without knowing the Latin - such as b.d meaning twice a day - now I know it in Latin

I just never realised how much of English is derived from Latin!

I just never realised how much of English is derived from Latin!

Yep, the scientific words are taken directly from Latin and Greek, while the literary words are descended from Latin via French. It's only the everyday words that seem to be Germanic in origin.

I chose warfare - but politics come in close second for me.

The Republic, while having greed and what not, had wonderful far-reaching ideals of their city. Pride and Duty were tantamount in building the culture keystones we still cling to.

The Empire, is a study in human nature - always fascinating.

But those strong legs of the soldiers - whew. (ha ha )

Well its actually a long story. In 10th grade we all had to read the play Julius Caesar. I thought he was a very interesting character and so I started doing my own research. In 2000 our Catholic youth group went to Rome for World Youth Day and I got to see the ruins in person. Unfortunately since the group had a religious focus I did not get the opportunity to see nearly as much as I would have liked. I have been so busy lately that I have not really had the time to indulge this hobby. Once I have got my career established I will hopefully have more spare time for things like this.

Guest ParatrooperLirelou

Cinematic Representation of Rome is what got me interested in Roman civilization especially on the military/warfare aspects of Rome.Reason why is because I tend to enjoy myth busting as one of my favorite past times(believe me I written many articles busting the myths of the Indochina War and Vietnam War), and I know movie representations tend to have so many inaccuracies and create so many myths of the historical civilization presented.Unfortunately many of these inaccurate misconceptions and myths are generally accepted as facts(even I fell for them before getting into Roman Civilization). I got a lot of fun learning how Rome was like in reality and I especially had more fun learning the realities of the Roman Legions and Roman warfare and learning that many generally accepted beliefs of the Roman Legions and Roman warfare are myths/misconceptions/oversimplifications created by Hollywood and General history books.

Thus so far I have been enjoying myth busting of popular perceptions of Rome and her military.I will be posting articles here in UNRV soon that busts many popular myths,oversimplifications, and misconceptions on Rome(especially on Roman military and Roman Warfare) and I expect you experts on UNRV to critique how accurate/good they are!

Guest ParatrooperLirelou

Interesting that 'Cinematic Representations' has no votes - yet.

Guess that makes me the first person to have voted Cinematic Representations as the reason why I got interested in Rome:D .

Guess that makes me the first person to have voted Cinematic Representations as the reason why I got interested in Rome:D .

Good on you! I'll be interested in your future posts - I'm also interested in the Vietnam war - what is shown in movies as fact is sometimes definitely not always what really happened

Guest ParatrooperLirelou

Good on you! I'll be interested in your future posts - I'm also interested in the Vietnam war - what is shown in movies as fact is sometimes definitely not always what really happened

Well of topic, but you will find this interesting.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/topic/12363-dien-bien-phu-myths-5th-edition/