UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

Why are you interested in Rome?

Why are you interested in Rome?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What interests you most about Rome?

• Politics and personalities
    • Legions, battles, ancient warfare
    • Culture and daily life
    • Cinematic representations ( "Rome" or "Gladiator")
    • A little bit of everything
    • Other (please explain)

Humor me and satiate my curiousity. There was a brief discussion in the Patrician folder about the areas of main interest as revealed by the most read book reviews. I am interested in the leading topics that brought people to this site, and especially the topics that might interest people as far as book reviews and articles.

In theory I should vote the "little bit of everything" category, but for the purposes of your poll I felt a more distinctive choice was in order. As a result, I chose politics/personalities.

Legions interest me most, culture and daily life is my second favorite thing.

I really have no interest in politics, surprisingly, and I don't have the head to remember all of the details/dates/series of events of battles and such. My main interest is in the daily life, the "nitty gritty" of the army :suprise:

Really it should have been ' a little bit of everything' because I do love every aspect of ancient Rome, but the thing that grabs the majorioty of my attention is the Legions, countless wars, famous Generals etc, I never get bored of reading about the up's and down's of the Roman army, it's fascinating stuff!

I original interests in Rome was originally sparked from the wars and personalities. However the more I learn, read etc. the more I find my spectrum widens. Now I am more interested in learning about the daily life of a legionary then battles inwhich he was involved.

Now I am interested in Rome because I want to learn, the more I learn the more my interest diversifies, the more I want to learn.

Edited by Divi Filius

Why are Roman personalities lumped together with politics? Surely the sovereignty of rich characters such as Elagabalus had absolutely nothing to do with politics.

Why are Roman personalities lumped together with politics? Surely the sovereignty of rich characters such as Elagabalus had absolutely nothing to do with politics.

But surely, politics cannot exist without people? I suppose it depends how one is defining 'politics'.

As for me - I voted for 'a bit of everything' as that seemed to equate most with 'the entire Roman world' area of my personal interest. But it was the peronalities and politics who got me there in the first place.

History is made by great personas, so one cannot separate Caesar's place in Roman politics from his particular ambitious persona.

Same with most of the figures of the late republic and the emperors. It's a study of not only the politics of someone, but their character as well.

While I like

I suppose I would have to go with a bit of everything as well. My main intrests when I came to this site were Rome's military as well as her foreign policy, especially towards Britain and the Hellenistic World. Lately I have become more interested in Roman society and it's development throughout the epochs. I have been reading more on daily life for ordinary folks as well as life in Pompeii. I've also began reading more on the development of religion and how Rome went from a pagan society to a Monotheistic one.

Over 1900 registered members and only 15 votes?

Nonetheless the small sample we have here is still useful. It more or less confirms my impressions of why people come to this site and what they want out of it.

Over 1900 registered members and only 15 votes?

One more.

I put the legions, etc, as that's the subject that kicked off my interest when I was a child and most weekends my parents would take me to Hadrian's Wall.

Put me in the majority of votes that chose "a little bit of everything". While the personalities and military aspects are what drew me in as a lad, it's turned into a great interest in the most banal aspects of Rome. I think some of the fine literature out there has made even the most mundane things about ancient Rome come alive for me.