UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

Why are you interested in Rome?

Why are you interested in Rome?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What interests you most about Rome?

• Politics and personalities
    • Legions, battles, ancient warfare
    • Culture and daily life
    • Cinematic representations ( "Rome" or "Gladiator")
    • A little bit of everything
    • Other (please explain)

Put me in the majority of votes that chose "a little bit of everything". While the personalities and military aspects are what drew me in as a lad, it's turned into a great interest in the most banal aspects of Rome. I think some of the fine literature out there has made even the most mundane things about ancient Rome come alive for me.

How I agree! I even want to know how they washed up the dishes! And I do not joke. I find myself Googling all kinds of things these days. :D It is very true that when a civilisation gets a hold of you, you need to know every last detail of the lives involved, from lowest slave to Emperor. It all helps to fill out the picture.

Interesting that 'Cinematic Representations' has no votes - yet.

Hehe - I wonder why? :lol: Could it be something to do with either 'Ben Hur' or 'The Robe' where Tiberius lords it on Capri with his Empress Julia? You see - I can't even remember which film it is - they all merge into one, those epics!

For me it is the buildings. I didn't really know which category to put this in, so I chose 'A little bit of everything', as buildings served many purposes.

For me it is the buildings. I didn't really know which category to put this in, so I chose 'A little bit of everything', as buildings served many purposes.

Roman architecture intrigues me, too. While I agree that the buildings of the Romans served many purposes, I kind of envision "architecture" (and art and literature, as well) as falling more into the "Culture and Daily Life" category. Perhaps there should have been an "Art & Architecture" category?

Glad you enjoyed those pics of the Roman house model and floorplans, Neil, that I posted in the Gallery. I wish I'd taken more of those.

Heh, I wonder how this survey might have turned out if there had been no "Little Bit of Everything" category, and everyone had been obliged to choose one specific interest area to which they felt themselves most drawn? :D

-- Nephele

Heh, I wonder how this survey might have turned out if there had been no "Little Bit of Everything" category, and everyone had been obliged to choose one specific interest area to which they felt themselves most drawn? :D

Through various other polls and just generally keeping track of the folders, I've determined that the politics & personalities of the Late Republic is the most discussed aspect on this site. The early-middle Republic as well as the early Empire roughly tie for second place. So I suppose you could say a general historical narrative from 500BCE to 200CE comprises the vast bulk of the site.

The military in general is also a steady source of interest. What is interesting is that when I first came to the site in 2004, the smallest details of the Legions seemed to overwhelmingly dominate discussions. Especially those ridiculous hypothetical X vs Y threads (e.g. "Could a Roman Legion defeat a Mongol Horde?") Once we outlawed those threads, it seems topic discussions became broader and more intelligent (or at least facilitated a trend along those lines already in place).

Through various other polls and just generally keeping track of the folders, I've determined that the politics & personalities of the Late Republic is the most discussed aspect on this site. The early-middle Republic as well as the early Empire roughly tie for second place. So I suppose you could say a general historical narrative from 500BCE to 200CE comprises the vast bulk of the site.

The military in general is also a steady source of interest. What is interesting is that when I first came to the site in 2004, the smallest details of the Legions seemed to overwhelmingly dominate discussions. Especially those ridiculous hypothetical X vs Y threads (e.g. "Could a Roman Legion defeat a Mongol Horde?") Once we outlawed those threads, it seems topic discussions became broader and more intelligent (or at least facilitated a trend along those lines already in place).

Hmm, in addition to the "Why are you interested in Rome?" poll, perhaps it might be enlightening to poll people on "What introduced you to Rome?" RPG? Your school's Latin class? History was your best subject in school? A visit to the city of Rome itself? College toga parties? :lol:

-- Nephele

As for me, grade school history introduced me to the subject, if somewhat superficially. And I had always been a fan of Greco-Roman mythology.

But it is only in my post college days I really took up the subject in great detail. After college ended I needed something to keep my brain occupied, because I found post-educational life not as engaging as I had hoped.

As for me, grade school history introduced me to the subject, if somewhat superficially. And I had always been a fan of Greco-Roman mythology.

But it is only in my post college days I really took up the subject in great detail. After college ended I needed something to keep my brain occupied, because I found post-educational life not as engaging as I had hoped.

Thanks for starting this, Ursus. My turn!

It was my high school Latin language class that introduced me to the fascinating world of Rome and the Romans. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't sign up for Latin due to a burning interest in things Roman -- it was because Latin was the smallest class in my high school and I was a bit of a social misfit -- painfully so. And so a classroom with the fewest fellow students in it seemed very appealing to me. (Although I later discovered that, due to the intimacy of smaller groups, avoidance of social interaction is practically impossible.)

That choice led to a love affair with the Romans, which I have never regretted.

Who's next? What served as your introduction to Rome?

-- Nephele

I think the study of history is just a natural affinity for some. As far as I can remember it's always just been there. I think the first time I realized it may have been after watching movies like Ben Hur and Spartacus as a child.

On balance I have to vote 3, its the tantalising "were they just like us , or totally different , in confidence , directness and emotional life"? That doesnt mean I discount many other facets , but its the idea of a culture separate in time, but possibly near in psyche.

-- Nephele

My mum and dad were (and still are) keen members of the local archaeological society and used to take me to archaeological digs and sites. To 'put flesh' on what I saw, I read the novels of Rosemary Sutcliffe, and the reconstruction books of Ronal Embleton and Peter Connolly.

-- Nephele

My mum and dad were (and still are) keen members of the local archaeological society and used to take me to archaeological digs and sites. To 'put flesh' on what I saw, I read the novels of Rosemary Sutcliffe, and the reconstruction books of Ronal Embleton and Peter Connolly.

Yikes, looks like Ursus and I have gotten commingled there in the quote function. Is this prophetic? :lol:

Thanks for sharing your "Roman introduction", Neil. I'm enjoying reading all of these.

-- Nephele

I'm not quite sure how I first became interested in Rome. I've always been slightly interested in ancient history, ever since I was taken around local prehistoric sites. I remember sitting by a Stone age burial mound when I was very young, and trying to imagine how long ago the it was constructed. My intrest in the Ancient World both grew and waned during my childhood. I remember when I was around seven, I constructed some Egyptian style tombs out of boxes and toilet rolls, while at other times I became more interested in typical childhood stuff.

Rather recently I was looking through a box of old stuff when I came across a copy of several children's books about the Romans, including a Ladybird book about life in Roman Britain and 'The Rotten Romans' by Terry Deary. So I had obviously been buying some Roman books much earlier than I originally thought.

When I was a teenager I even joined an 'Ancient and Medieval History' book club in 1998/1999 and I brought some books, some of which were illustrated by Peter Connolly. Since then my intrest in the Classical World has expanded.

I think my first introduction to Rome was probably watching Spartacus when I was a boy (normally at Christmas time), I remember being totally mesmerized by the whole film and from then on I've always had an healthy interest in all things Roman.

I sort of drifted off it during my teens, obviously other things were grabbing my attention like girls :wub: football, partying :drunk: etc. But as I got older and realized that I wasn't going to be a professional footballer the interest came flooding back and now I'm hooked again and loving it!

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus