UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

Why are you interested in Rome?

Why are you interested in Rome?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What interests you most about Rome?

• Politics and personalities
    • Legions, battles, ancient warfare
    • Culture and daily life
    • Cinematic representations ( "Rome" or "Gladiator")
    • A little bit of everything
    • Other (please explain)

Now, I know I have posted something similar to this before - no, I am not going mad - but can I find the damned thread - can I heck?

But to sum up, Nephele - I became interested in Rome when I was a little schoolgirl of 11 years, forced into double Latin on a Tuesday morning! My teacher was a tyrant with a Welsh accent, whom I nevertheless ended up adoring and worshipping as if he were Augustus himself. Apart from making us learn all the usual conjugations and declensions by rote, he also devoted one of our five Latin lessons a week to what he called 'Background' - and what has today (in our more enlightened age) become 'Classical Studies'. This included everything from the Persian Wars through to the year of the 4 Emperors, and I was hooked with everything Classical. I can remember particularly thinking that Xerxes sounded like a really interesting guy who I'd like to know - and I actually wished he'd won! (I was a romantic little thing in those days!)

Rome itself took even more of a hold when I watched 'I, Claudius' and, whilst loving it, thought to myself - 'Is this right?' So, I started to research for myself, and I was well and truly caught.

So - thank you, Derek Southall (my Latin teacher) - living proof that tyranny does have its advantages :romansoldier:

I would dearly love to hear Latin with a musical Welsh accent.

Not quite what you wish but Anthony Hopkins in "Titus" gives a hint of how that might be.

I'm interested in Rome because they layed a lot of the groundwork for Western society and thought. Rome resonates all around us in the Western world even today. There's so much to learn about why they succeeded and why they failed and apply that knowledge to today. What made them tick? Why do we use some aspects of their society and not others? Basically, I answered a little bit of everything.

I'm interested in Rome because they layed a lot of the groundwork for Western society and thought. Rome resonates all around us in the Western world even today.

Pretty much my reason for being here as well. Or to paraphrase Pertinax, to study a culture that may be distant in time but close to the heart.

Ave

Well, let me see. When I was about 7 or 8 years old I read a book called "Julius Caesar and Roman Britain" published by Ladybird. That is what really sparked my interest in Ancient Rome. I don't know if the book is still in print - that was back in '75 - and there are a few inaccuracies in it as I recall, but it was a pretty good introduction to the subject for a youngster, and although I have developed other interests since then (WWII and I, Indian Mutiny, Ancient Greek history, Vietnam War etc.), my interest in Ancient Roman history can be traced back to that little book, and I heartily thank the publishers for it.

Although most have ruled out #4 as their option, i would say that has influenced me most into Roman interests. From their i have developed my interests into the republican legions and the politics, I spent a long time making my mind up only to pick the boring and probably predictable for me #2,

vtc

I'll have to take the easy option, and just go with a bit of everything. Rome in its entirety simply fascinates me, and I really couldn't pinpoint anything specifically. Every aspect of Rome is interesting in its own way. Politics and warfare perhaps take center stage before culture, but it really is just an awesome "ensemble" effort of sorts when it comes to this civilisation, and period of time in general.

I voted politics and personalities because religion was could hardly be separated from political life. And personalities are always interesting.

Salve!

Basically the same as GO (everything but #4).

My order of preference would be 1-3-2.

And fundamentally because I think in many ways we are still Romans.

BTW, congratulations, Ursus. Nice job (as usual).

I voted for culture and daily life. I enjoy learning about how people lived thousands of years ago in ancient times. It's interesting learning about what romans did on a day to day basis during their lifetime and how their living conditions were (what they ate, what they did for entertainment, what gods they worshipped). There were also a lot of ancient figures that came from Rome. My favorite thus far being Julius Caesar - I enjoy reading about his life and his accomplishments and I hope to read more books about him and other romans.