UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Tons Of Questions.

• 1 year later...

Ok thanks for all the info you guys.

Could someone suggest another good source to learn more about Roman history? I haven't found anything else worth looking at yet so I'm hoping someone else has.

I think you should try www.blackmask.com. You could also try wikipedia, although not a favourite for me, i think it would suit you.

ok.

Other than open war did the Romans have any spies? Or did they not prefer that?

I know they sent some into Carthage but I am looking for something other than that.

Yes, they most certainly did. The Areani were agents in Imperial Roman military units based in Roman Britain during the later part of the Roman occupation of the island. They were used both as scouts for the legions and as undercover spies. Many of them were mercenaries; at the time of the Great Conspiracy, which they helped instigate, a good deal of them were sailors. Due to their participation in the Conspiracy, Count Theodosius disbanded them.

They are sometimes (inaccurately) called Arcani

Well I have some questions about this site.

When was this website started?

Which forumn is the most active and for what reason?

I read somewhere that you guys were trying to make this the best Roman History website in the world.

When or how will you know if it is? Or is it already?

In the movie 'Gladiator' what was the intended time of that movie? Like a general area of time in BC or AD is what I am asking.

Also was Maximus's house in that movie supposed to be near a Greek city or no?

And what types of armour did the Romans really wear?

Like chain suits or Bronze plates?

I also read that they had a really advanced street system and plumbing.

Why were the road systems considered to be so advanced?

And how did they control the waterflow so well with stone aquaducts without constantly having breaks in the rock from shifting ground? Or were these water systems set above ground on the stone streets?

Gladiator is based around the time of the co emperors Marcus aurelius and Commodus (177-192).

Every soldier was equipped with the basic defensive and offensive equipment. All clothing was military standard, so everyone would look uniform. There were three basic defensive tools used to prevent attack. The Lorica, also known as the breastplate, was built to withstand frontal attack. The Galea, Latin for helmet, was made to prevent crushing blows to the head and face. The most important of the three however was the Scutum. This shield was used to ward off attack in close battle, and utilized for many other protection schemes.

The offensive tools consist of two types of weaponry. The first is the javelin. The javelins were constructed to bend once inside the enemy, that way the enemy could not pull them out or reuse them for their own needs. The second offensive weapon the soldier was equipped with was the Gladius. This was the basic short sword that was good for close attacks.

Side by side with these weapons were the standard issue clothing. As a soldier, you were required to wear certain clothing. The first of which was the Tunica. The Tunica was like an undergarmet we have today. The next layer of clothing was much like a jacket, a cloak of sorts that was worn over the tunica. And to top off the look, every soldier wore a pair of Caligae, extremely heavy boots made for marching. In addition, all the equipment was carried over the soldier's shoulder in a sarcina. The sarcina would weigh about 50 pounds when completely full.

The romans used a type of ancient morter of unknown composite. It was very effective as a water proofant. Historians believe it was also used in the colliseum when it was flooded to stage huge naval games. Although this is debatable.

The road systems were seen as advanced because they were built to give greater tactical and logistical movement to the army. It allowed Romes armies to march long distances quickly and effeciently as the were always built in straight lines. It also meant that because the army didnt need to travel over rough terrain, they didnt tire as easily.