UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Most important province?

Traianus

well, that's the question:

What province (in terms of estrategical position, geography,climate, politics, army, conquest, obtaining metals, grain, food...) would make the roman empire a little more weak if it wasn't under roman rules?

what do you think is the province for which Rome would have done everything for not to lose it?

P.D: Sorry for this awful english :ph34r:

well, that's the question:

What province (in terms of estrategical position, geography,climate, politics, army, conquest, obtaining metals, grain, food...) would make the roman empire a little more weak if it wasn't under roman rules?

what do you think is the province for which Rome would have done everything for not to lose it?

P.D: Sorry for this awful english :lol:

It's a good question. As the Western Empire actually dissolved, I think you might say that Italy went before Gaul (though it's rather a question of definition as to when a territory was totally lost). Gaul was in many ways a centre of Roman culture in the 5th century, and if it was also the bit of the empire that held on longest, perhaps that's not just a coincidence -- they really tried to keep things going there.

I think it was Africa Proconsularis, on account of all the food it sent to Rome. Egypt is probably up there too, for the same reason.

The grain supply from Egypt was extremely important, if that had stopped coming then Rome would have been in serious trouble.

There's nothing worse than hungry citizens!

For the High Empire, deginately.

But in the late empire only a small part of Egyptian grain reached Rome, Constantinople taking precedence.

It was Africa that provided Rome's grain and therefore of crucial importance, as Ursus said.

So, for the late empire, I'd say Africa and Gaul were the most important in the West, and in the East Asia minor and Egypt.

I suppose you could argue that the Eastern provinces Asia Minor Greece etc... Were very important, so important that the legacy of the Roman Empire (Byzantines) struggled on to maintain a hold on these areas until 1400's

In the early Roman Empire I would have said that Rome would not want to lose Gaul as if I am right in thinking a substantial amount of the army was trained there and there was gold deposits their then it was a lucrative area the Empire could not afford to lose.

Also I would consider Egypt to be of great importance to the empire being the bread basket of the ancient world and shipping much grain to Rome.

Edited by AEGYPTUS

I think it was Africa Proconsularis, on account of all the food it sent to Rome. Egypt is probably up there too, for the same reason.

I'd have to agree with NN on this. Even without Egypt the Western Empire survived well enough on grain from Africa. It's sack by the Vandals was devastating.

• 1 month later...

Add another vote to the Africa front. Without the grain, the Empire starved and that's not good for raising troops or taxes if people are dead from a lack of food.

You see intense efforts of both the dying Western Empire and even assisted by the Eastern Empire to recover Carthage in the middle of the 5th century. They were thwarted by the Barbarian Magister Militium and for good reason. A healthy Rome would make for a stronger Emperor politically and the Barbarian troops certainly didn't want that.

A healthy Rome would make for a stronger Emperor politically and the Barbarian troops certainly didn't want that.

Although I would agree that Africa was very important to the Empire, I doubt that the above was so much as a consideration for the 'barbarians'.

mixed-smiley-009.gif

Edited by Gaius Octavius

I don't know if I'd claim it was THE most strategic province, but Noricum was really important as a source of quality arms and other ironware, and the Romans invested an awful lot in clinging to it for a very long time (even coming into a terrible conflict with the Cimbri/Teutones because of it).

In different time periods different province were most important. In the end of Republic definatelly the most important were Asia (monay) and Sicilly (grain). Later Egipt and Africa. And surelly after romanisation Gaul became one of most important provinces.