UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Weather conditions

Klingan

I've been thinking about how the weather conditions were in the roman empire, over the time. Considering that Sicily, and northern Africa were large exporters of grain, it would seems that it was generally colder. However I've never seen or heard about any fact on the subject, so I was wondering if anyone here could fill me in?

Information about any Roman timeframe (until 476 AD) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I've been thinking about how the weather conditions were in the roman empire, over the time. Considering that Sicily, and northern Africa were large exporters of grain, it would seems that it was generally colder. However I've never seen or heard about any fact on the subject, so I was wondering if anyone here could fill me in?

Just 'thinking' off the top of my head, Egypt was a famous exporter of grain due to the fertility of the banks of the Nile, and Sicily was probably more forested in those days and thus the soil was more firmly secured to the earth.

Just 'thinking' off the top of my head, Egypt was a famous exporter of grain due to the fertility of the banks of the Nile, and Sicily was probably more forested in those days and thus the soil was more firmly secured to the earth.

Yeah the Nile would explain Egypt but I reckon that they were growing grain at many more places then just Egypt in Africa?

Good point about Sicily wasn't thinking about that. Deforestation have surly had it's share in it.

But don't quote me on that, just brainstorming :) .

No worry, I'm just interested in it :hammer:

Not going to use this in any essay or something.

Edited by Klingan

I've been thinking about how the weather conditions were in the roman empire, over the time. Considering that Sicily, and northern Africa were large exporters of grain, it would seems that it was generally colder.

Not colder--wetter. The ruins of Roman farms can now be found in areas too dry for cultivation, and there is additional evidence of considerable Roman floodwater farming in the Libyan pre-desert. This issue was studied by UNESCO for several years in an effort by modern Libya to revive the farming productivity enjoyed by the Romans.

For a good paper on the topic, see Graeme Barker, "A Tale of Two Deserts: Contrasting Desertification Histories on Rome's Desert Frontiers", World Archaeology, Vol. 33, No. 3, Ancient Ecodisasters. (Feb., 2002), pp. 488-50.

I agree with Cato. The weather in North Africa. north of the 15 degree parallel was much more humid in the ancient past than it is today. I've read something about this matter in Heather's 'The Fall of the Roman Empire', especially concerning the agricultural productivity of the Maghreb region in North Africa due to the nature of its climate. Though I can't quite remember what was exactly said in the book, i'll have to try and trace it up.

I'll also look on Cato's suggested paper, it sounds interesting.

The north african climate was definitely wetter than today, and considering that the area was the most urbanised part of the empire it must have had a viable agriculture to support the population. Over-grazing since then hasn't helped, and the point raised about deforesation may be relevant.

During the late empire it would generally be colder than it is today.

The Danube, for example, would frequently freeze in winter.

Perhaps it would be a reason for the adoption of 'barbarian clothes'?

The far reaches of my memory tell me that at the time of the Emperor Julian, 'icebergs' (not the Titanic kind) were seen in the Seine River. (?)

The far reaches of my memory tell me that at the time of the Emperor Julian, 'icebergs' (not the Titanic kind) were seen in the Seine River. (?)

Even as late as the 18th Century there were still markets and festivities taking place on the frozen Thames in London (the end of what I believe they call the last Mini-Ice Age).

We tend to forget that our climate changes constantly. We live in a dynamic enviroment. Usually these changes are small but occaisionally, either because of geographic or astronomical phenomena, the climate can change radically for a short period. My favourite example comes from the 6th century Ireland, where the evidence from tree rings and other sources shows that during the dark ages the winter never let up for four years solid. Thats pretty tough on your survival chances believe me.

I did read somewhere (sadly I no longer have the book) that an eruption of krakatoa during the late empire or early dark age had far reaching effects this side of the world. For those interested, krakatoa is indeed growing again and will no doubt erupt explosively at some point. Volcanoes and sea water are temptestuous partners. Just ask the minoans. The santorini explosion killed their civilisation in one fell swoop.

The earth wobbles too. This wobbling was the cause of the original ice ages when it affected the flow of warm water northward. That could happen again very easily. In fact, this talk of global warming is a little incorrect. Britain is heading back toward the african-style climate it once had between ice ages anyway, all we've done is hurry the process a little. Get the picture?

In fact, we're still recovering from the ice ages even today. Britain is rising out of the sea after the weight of ice a mile and a half thick thawed away. Its also tipping over. The northwest is rising, the souteast falling. Evidence shows human habitation at the bottom of the Solent after the ice ages. There's a castle in wales whose sea gate is well distant from the shore today.

When we read of icebergs on the seine or of severe winters, make sure this isn't an isolated period rather than part of an overall trend.