UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

On the Lead Singer of Black Sabbath

Virgil61

Ozzie or Dio or...?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Name your poison

• Ozzy--I'm so old school I'm Neolithic man.
    • Ronnie James Dio--Mystical Kingdoms, dragons, elves.
    • Ian Gillan--Smoke on the Water dude, Deep Purples old lead singer
    • Tony Martin--someone had to sing while they waited for the reunion tour
    • I'd rather listen to a cat get neutered without meds

That's an easy one, Ozzy is a rock legend a great frontman and an even better showman or at least he was before he turned into a stuttering gibbering wreck :sp_ike:

To be sure though, Dio comes in a very close second. He was a big influence on metal's second generation. I think Heaven and Hell may be one of the greatest Heavy Metal albums ever made.

It's amazing to see Ozzy in interviews during the early years and contrast them to his present condition. Real sad stuff.

Ozzy may be a rather sad example of what the rock and roll lifestyle could do to a person, but Sabbath just ain't Sabbath without him.

I was listening to some of the early stuff last night, Ozzy was something else. Tony Iommi was/is a great guitarist, but what also stands out is how great a drummer Bill Ward was in his heyday.

Probably not enough metal fans left anymore to justify having this poll I realized.

The first years of Black Sabbath I liked most, so, I voted for Ozzy (despite his sad today condition). Dio was great, but when I think Black Sabbath I think Paranoid. I'm not interested in what the old boys might do today, no matter the line up.

• 4 months later...
Ozzy may be a rather sad example of what the rock and roll lifestyle could do to a person, but Sabbath just ain't Sabbath without him.

I agree! Technically I like Dio's voice better, but the early albums just wouldn't be the same without Ozzy, especially Paranoid.

I really have to post

=)

• 2 weeks later...
I have to go with Ozzy as well. Paranoia or War Pigs wouldn't be the same without him. I like Dio more with Rainbow.

I second Vercingetorix's thoughts on this. Ozzy is to Black Sabbath as Dio is to Rainbow.

As much as I love the stuff ozzy has turned out over the years, lets be honest, as a singer he's ghastly. Dio gets my vote. A better lyricist, better range, better vocal quality. Ok, so he sings 'rainbow' every third word, but thats the neture of this post. The question was who was best. Fact is, I've bought more ozzy recordings than dio's, so perhaps that would make him my favourite?