UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

History Writing Contest

:D

The Kalends of March are here. The Ides approach as inevitably as the tide the shore! :lol:

:angry:

A reminder that there are only 10 days left before your entries are due. Also, be aware that we will gladly accept previously written and updated papers for various school projects or what have you. There is no rule that suggests anything must be newly written. We are gladly willing to reward quality work regardless of when it may have originated. Though of course, it must be your own work.

Five more days left to go before March 15th! If P.P. isn't floodeed with essays, the god-Coonsul will declare open season on the slackers!angry-smiley-051.gif

:thumbsup:

I'll enter the contest too with a submission currently titled "the use of religion to fool the people : comparison between Marius's prophetess Martha and the second return of Pisistrate in Athens".

Unfortunately unplanned events have slowed me and I only have a french version of the paper right now, haven't had the time to translate it so I won't enter the contest....

Five more days left to go before March 15th! If P.P. isn't floodeed with essays, the god-Coonsul will declare open season on the slackers!angry-smiley-051.gif

:ph34r:

Well... looks like I shall be one to be attacked.

Thanks for the drive there Gaius and also to MPC as well... but sadly I was not able to make the deadline. If I had one more day... I might've, but the essay I have is only 3/4ths.

Hey... considering I only just found out about it like a week or so ago and taking into account my other troubles I'm kinda proud with what I did finish...

:ph34r:

Well... looks like I shall be one to be attacked.

Thanks for the drive there Gaius and also to MPC as well... but sadly I was not able to make the deadline. If I had one more day... I might've, but the essay I have is only 3/4ths.

Hey... considering I only just found out about it like a week or so ago and taking into account my other troubles I'm kinda proud with what I did finish...

You have the rest of today.

Seriously!? Oh snap... I think I can do this then... *runs off to finish*

Yes, seriously. Check the rules via the 'Home' page.

Yes, seriously. Check the rules via the 'Home' page.

Indeed, because of the unintentional confusion over the term "midnight", essays will be accepted throughout March the 15th.

Indeed, because of the unintentional confusion over the term "midnight", essays will be accepted throughout March the 15th.

*ugh* Well with only 45 minutes left. I don't think I am going to make it. However... I'd like you to read it for the hell of it. I'll send you what I got PP, maybe next time right?

Phil

Thank you to everyone for showing interest and participating. We hope to make this a semi-regular feature here.

In total we received a respectable 11 entries. The early indications are very encouraging! I have personally refrained from reading any until all entries were made (other than skimming for basic rule compliance), so I am quite intrigued. We will make no promises as to the time frame for final judgment (Pertinax is currently on holiday and I value his input), and we want to be sure to deliberate fairly without constraints for deadlines.

With that said, I received entries from the following forum members:

Aurelius - A Critical Inquiry into the Strengths and Limitations of the Imperial Roman Army

Skarr - Collegia

Wotwotius - In what ways are barbarians so important to Tacitus

With thanks to our judges and our entrants, we are pleased to announce that our deliberation has finally come to an end. Prize winners have been selected and notified (or are about to be).

We received a respectable total of 12 entries with varying subject matter, academic approach and presentation. From studies in the Roman army and government to overviews of societal functions and historical events, the essays ran the entire gamut of our entry criteria. Judging was difficult and we were pleased with the overall quality. Some entries may be evident of an advanced education and others show the enthusiasm of some of our younger forum members. While there are only 3 prizes to be presented, I would like to make it clear how satisfied I am personally with this concept and would like to thank those who participated and encourage them to continue to hone their skills for future contests. (I believe this will be a semi regular feature here--perhaps quarterly.) I wish we could do more.

Without further ado... We had a unanimous first place winner and our two runners up held off a couple of close competitors. Ultimately, The Augusta's work "Laying New Foundations" proved to be both an academically sound thesis and a compelling read.

1st prize (choice of $75 amazon.com [or co.uk] gift card or voins gift card) - The Augusta, "Laying New Foundations".

Runners Up (choice of $25 amazon.com [or co.uk] gift card or voins gift card) - Aurelius - "A Critical Inquiry into the Strengths and Limitations of the Imperial Roman Army" and Publius Nonius Severus - "The Evolution of the Tribune of the Plebs in the Roman Republic: A Path to Equality, A Road to Ruin".

I will be posting an individual thread for each entry in the academia forum for members to read and comment...

(I have posted both .doc and .pdf versions of the entries, but I seem to have misplaced a couple of pdf's. If anyone wants to make a .pdf version of the those that are missing, I'd be much obliged.)