UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

History Writing Contest

I would just like to thank Gaius Octavius for the donative that made this possible.

I look forward to reading (judging, if I don't enter myself) the entries.

Gaius Octavius, what a cool deed you did! :)

-- Nephele

UNRV put up the better half.

UNRV, what a cool deed you did! :whistling:

But then, you UNRV administrators do a lot of cool deeds. UNRV is the best site on ancient Rome in particular and world history in general, in so many ways. Y'all rock!

-- Nephele

But then, you UNRV administrators do a lot of cool deeds. UNRV is the best site on ancient Rome in particular and world history in general, in so many ways. Y'all rock!

Since the stated goal of the site (aside from being my own personal outlet for ancient history) is to inspire continued interest and education in the ancient world, we are just trying to provide small incentives here and there for that to actually happen. If our community grows in the process... all the better. :whistling:

Nice one GO :whistling: , nice one UNRV :whistling:

Although I wont be entering myself due to a lack of litrerary talent, I will most certainly be looking forward to reading the eventual winners essays.

I was very impressed with the work of the previous writing contest, there were some excellent short stories but my paticular favorite was the poem by Matt Galivan, I thought it was a great piece of work.

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Oh btw, PP, I'm not sure how many people read the front page to the site, but probably still a good idea to make an entry about it there.

A great idea! Like GPM I won't be entering this competition myself but I will be looking forward to reading the stories. I'm sure Skarr will be ready to write a good one, and I'm sure that many other forum members will be impressing us with their tales.

Oh btw, PP, I'm not sure how many people read the front page to the site, but probably still a good idea to make an entry about it there.

Yes indeed, probably a wise observation. I'll do that shortly.

Could someone clerify for me, is this supposed to be a scholarly writing of a fictional story? From the contest guidelines it appears to be scholarly, but I just want to be sure. Also, by essay, do you imply that there is to be a Thesis to the topic, a question, or is a more research (regurgitation of information) oriented approach acceptable? Furthermore, is there any preferred method for citations, or is any accepted scholarly notation open (I tend to use the Chicago Manual of Style and Parenthetical notation)?

Thanks

Could someone clerify for me, is this supposed to be a scholarly writing of a fictional story? From the contest guidelines it appears to be scholarly, but I just want to be sure. Also, by essay, do you imply that there is to be a Thesis to the topic, a question, or is a more research (regurgitation of information) oriented approach acceptable? Furthermore, is there any preferred method for citations, or is any accepted scholarly notation open (I tend to use the Chicago Manual of Style and Parenthetical notation)?

Thanks

Some of this is entirely up to you...

There is no preferred method of citation, only that it's inclusion will help to authenticate your information.

This is indeed a historical essay (not fiction).

A well presented topic "thesis" will likely carry more weight by virtue of originality than a rehashed simple biography would for example. However, a poorly written thesis style paper would not win simply by virtue of originality. It would be difficult to discredit a paper that excels in regurgitation of fact, as you call it, but does so in a compelling way. Keep in mind that there will be several judges with differing personal criteria.

Am I vague and obscure enough? I hope so, because personally I would prefer entrants submit papers that suit their strengths rather than try to conform to a particular concept. I apologize if I am being confusing.

Many thanks to all involved in this brilliant idea. I would certainly like to contribute something - and I might even manage to discipline myself to produce it in time, as I have an old Uni assignment whose subject matter would suit itself very well to this project, with a few tweaks here and there and an updating of the available scholarship.

However, are the judges looking for just a new slant on the old topics that have been done to death, or would favourable 'points' be given to innovative ideas or original new theories?

Ignore last question - I have just seen it addressed in the post above.

Edited by The Augusta

I think the essence of any essay is a sound idea, backed by adequate research, and conveyed with suitable prose.

It's common sense to suggest anyone seeking to furnish a revolutionary reassessment of established theories must submit the strongest case possible to be taken seriously. If one succeeds at a sweeping revision, then one is a visionary. If one fails, then one is a hack. I love praising visionaries as much as I love reviling hacks. :P