UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

History Writing Contest

Primus Pilus

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great ideea GO and UNRV!

What time will be the end of the Dominate (upper limit of the allowed subject)?

I would prefer to remain pre-"Byzantine", unless there is a public outcry.

Would we need to submit a bibliography for example?

It would be a good idea.

A note on this: Bibliographies, footnotes, etc. do not count toward the word count limit.

Thinking of entering. I still need to finish a book on the Republic, is there a date or deadline yet?

Midnight on the Ides of March. See the below for the OFFICIAL RULES.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showto...amp;#entry55781

Save for those who may not enter due to possible conflicts of interest, all should try to submit something. Good practice. May I suggest that all entrants have their copy read by another, if for nothing more than checking spelling, prose and grammar. Good luck! "Hay, you never know."

Could someone clerify for me, is this supposed to be a scholarly writing of a fictional story? From the contest guidelines it appears to be scholarly, but I just want to be sure. Also, by essay, do you imply that there is to be a Thesis to the topic, a question, or is a more research (regurgitation of information) oriented approach acceptable? Furthermore, is there any preferred method for citations, or is any accepted scholarly notation open (I tend to use the Chicago Manual of Style and Parenthetical notation)?

Thanks

Some of this is entirely up to you...

There is no preferred method of citation, only that it's inclusion will help to authenticate your information.

This is indeed a historical essay (not fiction).

A well presented topic "thesis" will likely carry more weight by virtue of originality than a rehashed simple biography would for example. However, a poorly written thesis style paper would not win simply by virtue of originality. It would be difficult to discredit a paper that excels in regurgitation of fact, as you call it, but does so in a compelling way. Keep in mind that there will be several judges with differing personal criteria.

Am I vague and obscure enough? I hope so, because personally I would prefer entrants submit papers that suit their strengths rather than try to conform to a particular concept. I apologize if I am being confusing.

I understand. Thanks.

A great idea! Like GPM I won't be entering this competition myself but I will be looking forward to reading the stories. I'm sure Skarr will be ready to write a good one, and I'm sure that many other forum members will be impressing us with their tales.

Thanks, Decimus, for your vote of confidence in my writing abilities.

I just submitted my entry and hopefully, it will live up to your expectations.

I just submitted my entry and hopefully, it will live up to your expectations.

Wow, you've submitted it already!!!

Now that's impressive, they only opened the competition yesterday,

I'm looking forward to reading it Skarr

Good luck :)

Same here.

Yet, I misunderstood the rules first time round. I thought we were suppose to send in a work of fiction. Being unimaginative, I thought I wouldn't be able to do it. Then again if if its meant to be factual I'll probably give it a go.

I also got a little persuasion from our Lord :ph34r: .

I'll better get to work soon then!

So who exactly are judging the contest?

Everyone Patrician and above who are not themselves entering.

And possibly an equestrian or two or three if we need some extra help. While we can't yet be entirely sure who the judges will be, I can assure everyone that it will be a deliberative process.