UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
votadini

Saturday on UKTV History

Is there any way to watch these programs on a computer in the USA?

I honestly wouldn't know, but off the top of my head I think they're just available on Sky, Telewest or Freeview.

I own Pompeii:The Last Day and Coloseum. They are only available on BBC America but very inexpensive.

Both episodes are on the same disc but its much cheaper to buy the one titled POMPEII than the one titled Coluseum, despite both containing exactly the same material.

I'll be recording the other progreammes onto disc so if any of you Americans can direct me how to download them to a place where you can recieve them I'll gladly oblige.

Yes, I 've seen those ones as well. They had much higher production values than your average documentary. In a way thery were a Docudrama, especially the Pompeii one which followed the fictional lives of some of the people killed by Vesuvius... A sort of 'What if?'

The Colosseum one would have linked up with one of the episodes from Ancient Rome: Rise and Fall of an Empire; the Vespasian and Titus one. Afterall it shows the lengths that Titus went to building the Colosseum, as well as the story of one of the Gladiators that participated on its opening day. It was great to see the cast speaking in Latin.

I'm glad that UKTV history has dedicated a day to the Classical World. It's the only historical channel that I have, and lately the historical content has been pretty low, what with an emphasis on Wildlife documentaries (which are good...but hardly historical) and far too many Second World War docs (which again, aren't that bad...but how many times do they have to show that same episode of 'Gladiators of World War Two' ?)

Let's hope they'll have more variety in the future.

Well said, DC. I'm sick of natural history being shown back to back all weekend.

I have not seen the hannibal doc so I'm really looking forward to it (or is it them?).

Well said, DC. I'm sick of natural history being shown back to back all weekend.

Hear, hear! I'm an admirer of Attenborough but all day every Sunday can sap one's endurance.

I'm watching it right now. They've got two Hannibal docs playing. I think the next one is the big budget Docudrama. The one I'm currently watching seems to have some scenes from the 'Alexander Siddig' documentary.