UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

German Film "Downfall"

Primus Pilus

While channel-surfing last evening, I stumbled across a German language movie that I have never heard of entitled "Downfall". It tells the story of the final days of Hitler and the fall of Berlin. I watched for approximately 20 minutes and was absolutely riveted by the acting and the visuals. I realized, since I had missed much of the film already, that I should stop watching so I could watch it from the beginning at some later date.

It seems to be a powerful recreation of both Hitler and the people around him. I am wondering simply if anyone has seen it, and might suggest that those interested in WWII may be interested in it themselves. 'll know more once I watch it in it's entirety of course.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This film caused quite a stir in Europe when it was first released. I remember reading some articles about it from worried film critics who thought that the film would glamourise Hitler. Others criticised it for showing a "Germans were victims too" sort of mentality, and that this was an insult to the neighbouring countries who had suffered under Nazi oppression. When the film was finally released all those fears and negative assumptions disappeared and it recieved glowing reviews from the media.

On another note; this had been on my amazon wishlist for several months until I deleted it late last year. Now that I think about it, I should have just brought it.

Hopefully they will have some low price copies around.

I agree with WW--Downfall was a fabulous film.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone should object to 'humanizing' Hitler. What's truly objectionable is concealing the real, human embodiment of evil beneath a cartoon mask. The best example of this cartoonish mask, I think, can be found on the Hitler History Channel, where Hitler is typically shown raving in untranslated German. Why not expose Hitler's ideas so that we can avoid them? As it is, all the next Nazi has to do to escape detection is (1) not rave, (2) not speak German, and (3) not wear a funny moustache.

And people wonder why history repeats itself...

I have not seen Downfall. I read the reviews which were all excellent but never got around to actually watching the film, which is strange considering I own copies of many foreign language films.

Yours comments about humanising Hitler strongly remind me of interviews Anthony Hopkins gave after making a film about Hitlers last days in the bunker. I think it was called 'The Bunker'.

Hopkins said he wanted to show Hitler as a broken man and cause sympathy for 'the plight of A man...'

I'll have to make a point of watching both.

I saw a film of the last days of hitler starring Alec Guinness. I've forgotten what it was called, but it was very powerful and to me it seemed to achieve all that this new film apparantly does. I agree with MPC; Hitler did have a side to him which was 'more human' than the ranting dictator we see on old newsreels. To NOT portray his humanity would be a falsification of history.

Edited by Northern Neil

It's now recorded on my DVR and I hope to watch it over the weekend. I'm a bit involved with Everitt's "Augustus" at the moment (and like Ursus I am bit baffled by Everitt's notion that Augustus willingly allowed himself to be poisoned) but I'm sure I can squeeze in a few hours and a bottle of wine to watch Downfall.

Off topic, but I have to ask....

Everitts book. I have been put off buying it because the idea of him willingly accepting poison is so daft, not to mention done before with Claudius (I, Claudius).

Would you recommend this book?

Off topic, but I have to ask....

Everitts book. I have been put off buying it because the idea of him willingly accepting poison is so daft, not to mention done before with Claudius (I, Claudius).

Would you recommend this book?

I've only read the first couple of chapters, but other than the 'willing victim' notion that Everitt mentions in the introduction, it is quite highly readable.