UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

The Tudors

It starts with Henry VIII. Wolsey is already the chief minister, and Henry's marriage with Catherine of Aragon is already failing. The French are invading Italy. The Duke of Buckingham is plotting treason.

****SPOILER ALERT****

Does anyone else think that last week's episode, with Henry's sister Margaret, marrying the King of Portugal, hoping that the old goat will die, and then helping him along with a pillow over the face seemed a bit... Over the top? Not to mention the torrid affair Maggie had on the way to her wedding, when she got shtupped on the ship.

But... wasn't it Henry's other sister, Mary who married an old goat of a king -- and in France, not Portugal? Did Margaret ever have anything to do with Portugal? Did she even ever go to Portugal?

-- Nephele

From what I've been told by people conversant with this era, that subplot was completely un historical.

But, you know, that scene on the boat between the Duke and the Princess was ... uh .... well played.

From what I've been told by people conversant with this era, that subplot was completely un historical.

But, you know, that scene on the boat between the Duke and the Princess was ... uh .... well played.

Hahahaha! Yes, the Duke was almost as hawt as Henry. (Although I know it was the Princess's charms that held your interest, Ursus.)

I've been recording The Tudors, and I only just today got around to watching last week's episode. Will probably see tonight's episode later, as well. The Sopranos, on the other hand, get priority viewing tonight. :)

-- Nephele

Hahahaha! Yes, the Duke was almost as hawt as Henry. (Although I know it was the Princess's charms that held your interest, Ursus.)

I've been recording The Tudors, and I only just today got around to watching last week's episode. Will probably see tonight's episode later, as well. The Sopranos, on the other hand, get priority viewing tonight. :unsure:

-- Nephele

Speaking of the Sopranos, it's good that this is the last season.... It's no longer that interesting now and the episodes move along at a snail's pace...

I do like the Tudors though.. This was a very interesting period in English history and we can look forward to some exciting stuff in the coming weeks

Speaking of the Sopranos, it's good that this is the last season.... It's no longer that interesting now and the episodes move along at a snail's pace...

I know. The episodes thus far in this "second half" of the final season have been pretty disappointing -- but I still tune in because I'm obsessed with the Soprano family dynamics and I've just got to see how this whole thing plays out in the end.

-- Nephele

Did Margaret ever have anything to do with Portugal? Did she even ever go to Portugal?

-- Nephele

Margaret married James IV of Scotland.

Did Margaret ever have anything to do with Portugal? Did she even ever go to Portugal?

-- Nephele

Right, that I knew. But I was pretty certain that she never figured into Portugal's politics in any way -- and certainly didn't murder the king of Portugal. Last week's episode of The Tudors seems to have been a bit of a stretch, to say the least.

-- Nephele

So this is a day late and a dollar short, but, I love the Tudors. Henry VIII had an older brother,Arthur, then Margaret, Henry and then Mary. What I have read, sorry one of those places I can't remember, but the writers didn't want to confuse the audiuence with Mary and Margaret. So combined them. Mary did marry a King of France who was very old and did die soon after the marriage. There is a movie from 1953,the Sword and the Rose. shows Mary and her old husband dancing, horse riding and all sorts of activites to ware him out. He dies not long after they were married. It has been a long time since I have seen it, I just remember how the old king would look at Mary, with love in his eyes. And she was telling the horse to hurry, faster!

I am not sure when Mary and Brandon fell in love, but they did get married on the way back from France. Mary and Brandon had three children. Their daughter, Lady Francis married Henry Grey and their daughter was Lady Jane Grey, the nine day queen.

I just love to talk about this time in history, Richard III and of course ROME.

-- Nephele

Right, that I knew. But I was pretty certain that she never figured into Portugal's politics in any way -- and certainly didn't murder the king of Portugal. Last week's episode of The Tudors seems to have been a bit of a stretch, to say the least.

-- Nephele