UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Gladiators fought in Cheshire

Gladiatorial games, the bloodiest of ancient Rome's traditions, were probably held in the heart of genteel Cheshire, archaeologists say. Experts have unearthed evidence in the remains of Chester Amphitheatre which suggests gladiators appeared there. It was previously thought the arena was only used for ceremonial activities. But archaeologists have found a stone block with iron fastening, suggesting that victims - human or animal - were chained up for gladiatorial spectacles.

BBC

http://emmm.co.uk/amphitheatre/

Above you'll find the Chester Conference on Roman Amphitheatres website.

Here is one of that Gladiatorial Stable on tour last year:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=921

• 1 month later...

A similar stone block is depicted on a mosaic at the Bignor Villa, in west sussex. At first glance it seems another example of outright cruelty in that entrants to the arena are chained in place. With regard to those people condemned to the beasts I imagine this was very much the case, but even professional gladiators were probably chained too. This would be keep the action in the center of the ring and so everyone could see what was going on.

So far I haven't seen any example of these blocks outside britain which makes me wonder if its a romano-british phenomenon?