UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Julius Ratus

Varangian Sources

I am writing a report on the Varangian Guard. I would like to use the Strategikon as a source. I have heard it refered to as the Strategikon of Kakaumenos and also of Maurice. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of it online? Also, any other recomendations on sources for the Varangian Guard would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, Julius Ratus. While I can't help you with an online source for the Strategikon, I can recommend an interesting article I came across, titled: "The Later History of the Varangian Guard: Some Notes", by R. M. Dawkins (The Journal of Roman Studies, Vol. 37, published 1947). If you're unable to get this through your public or university library, drop me a line in private message.

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele Carnalis

I am writing a report on the Varangian Guard. I would like to use the Strategikon as a source. I have heard it refered to as the Strategikon of Kakaumenos and also of Maurice. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of it online? Also, any other recomendations on sources for the Varangian Guard would be appreciated.

Thanks

Found this

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/strate...strategikon.htm

Hope it helps.

It appears to be the same fellow. I will hopefully have enough sources to write this paper. I have the Alexiad and King Harald's Saga on order. I'm trying to find the Russian Primary Chronicle as well.

Try finding a copy of Byzantine Armies AD 886-1118 by Ian Heath. It's a good visual guide to the Varangian guard. The book contains information on the armour and equipment of the Varangians, although it is very short.

I believe that the Nordic Laxdaela Saga mentions the Varangians:

Laxdaela Saga

Hopefully this website might be of some use as well:

Varangian Guards

Decimus, I have the Heath book, and I definately intend o usiang it as a source. I will look at the Laxdoela Saga, Thanks.

Does anyone have any idea as to where I can find a certain Journal article? Here's the citation.

D. Smythe. "Why do barbarians stand around the emperor at diplomatic receptions?" in J. Shepard and S. Franklin, eds. Byzantine Diplomacy. (1992)

I have been looking for this article for a few weeks not, and even after using the correct name (I was looking under Shepard, the editor, oops) I have still had no luck.

Thanks again to you all.

Decimus, I have the Heath book, and I definately intend o usiang it as a source. I will look at the Laxdoela Saga, Thanks.

Does anyone have any idea as to where I can find a certain Journal article? Here's the citation.

D. Smythe. "Why do barbarians stand around the emperor at diplomatic receptions?" in J. Shepard and S. Franklin, eds. Byzantine Diplomacy. (1992)

I have been looking for this article for a few weeks not, and even after using the correct name (I was looking under Shepard, the editor, oops) I have still had no luck.

Thanks again to you all.

Try this for source... only book I know on the material.

"The Varangians of Byzantium" by: Sigfus Blondal and translated by Benedict Benedikz.

Varangians of Byzantium

You're in luck too... just came out in paperback. To find a copy of the hardcover is a pain...