UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Lingua Appalachia

Would this be an issue with communication between Athenians and Spartans? Did they maybe even need translators?

The dialects are probably not quite as different as that. I imagine it as something like a Scot negotiating with an Alabaman ...

Assuming that an alabamian has the wits to get up in the morning.

More seriously, and off topic, I understand that years ago when linguists wanted to hear what Elizabethan English sounded like, they went to Appalachia.(?)

More seriously, and off topic, I understand that years ago when linguists wanted to hear what Elizabethan English sounded like, they went to Appalachia.(?)

Wouldn't surprise me. I've lived in rural Idaho and I still remember some of the old-timer saying "over thaar" instead of "over there" - just like in old Elizabethan literature. I think some communities in the New World have retained some idiosyncrasies in speech from their first immigrant ancestors.

Appalachia I'm not so familiar with, but it was often discussed that the English spoken by both Brahmins in Bah-stan and those folks native to Martha's Vineyard were closer in linguistic pattern to the linguistic patterns of the settlers in the 16th and 17th century; I know Wm. Labov did studies on it, but I don't have the resources at this time.

I live on the edge of Appalachia here in western PA. If the locals have a dialect, I would call it "hick" moreso than Elizabethan.

I had in mind the 'hollows' prior to the 1950's. The sentence structure; the words; the pronunciation; the nuance; the music.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Its funny, here in Nebraska, in the cities (big towns) like Omaha and Lincoln the people talk with the standard flat unaccented Midwestern dialect, but if you go several miles out into Cornland/The Boonies the people all speak with a degree of hickishness. Words like "Crick" and "Worsh" become common (trans.: Creek, Wash). My brother tells me about his co-workers out in Gretna and I learn enlightening quotes such as: "I'm here to tell you" (used at the end of a declaration to add emphasis) and "I dun frazzled my underbritches" (trans.: I have damaged the structural integrity of my undergraments).

Its funny, here in Nebraska, in the cities (big towns) like Omaha and Lincoln the people talk with the standard flat unaccented Midwestern dialect,

I assure you from the ears of a Southerner that Midwestern is a definitely a discernable accent.

I've always been interested to know, can someone who isn't a midwesterner tell me, what parts of our "accent" make it discernable? Are there any characteristics to the "Midwestern accent"? I sure can't hear any, but maybe someone who hasn't spoken like this for their entire life can point them out.

Its funny, here in Nebraska, in the cities (big towns) like Omaha and Lincoln the people talk with the standard flat unaccented Midwestern dialect,

I assure you from the ears of a Southerner that Midwestern is a definitely a discernable accent.

I've always been interested to know, can someone who isn't a midwesterner tell me, what parts of our "accent" make it discernable? Are there any characteristics to the "Midwestern accent"? I sure can't hear any, but maybe someone who hasn't spoken like this for their entire life can point them out.

I've always heard that we Midwesterners sound "Nasally".

As I recall, there's a nasality in the vowels, as well as a contouring of the vowels...I'll have to dig up the linguistic atlas for the US to give a better answer.

And, hey, I always thought that us Californians didn't have an accent...until I went to Texas and got told!

EDIT: Click here for the atlas projects done at UPenn, home of Prof. Wm. Labov, a big name in the world of (American) sociolinguistics.

Edited by docoflove1974

As I recall, there's a nasality in the vowels, as well as a contouring of the vowels...I'll have to dig up the linguistic atlas for the US to give a better answer.

And, hey, I always thought that us Californians didn't have an accent...until I went to Texas and got told!

EDIT: Click here for the atlas projects done at UPenn, home of Prof. Wm. Labov, a big name in the world of (American) sociolinguistics.

You're all wrong. It's the English that don't have an accent.

In 1968, when I was introduced as a British kid to an old lady who ran a hotel in Colo Spgs (I know that's the name of the place because that's what it said on the signs at the city boundary) she said "he talks better'n some that come over here". Or words to that effect. I took it as a compliment, anyway. It was probably because I have (or had) a West Country accent, which may be not so many million miles from Midwestern as the dear old Queen's English is.

There was a sign that said "no women in the rooms". Does it still say that in hotel rooms in Colo Spgs?

You're all wrong. It's the English that don't have an accent.

That's what you think. The nobs sound as if they are gargling and the polloi as if they are whining.

There was a sign that said "no women in the rooms". Does it still say that in hotel rooms in Colo Spgs?

Probably in those that are used for illicit assignations, i.e., truck drivers, etc.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

• 6 years later...