UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
M. Porcius Cato

Best Fiction Set in Roman World

I've finished Harris' excellent novel, Imperium, and I was wondering what other novels set in ancient Rome people might suggest. (Needless to say, I found McCullough's Caesar-is-the-most-perfect-man-ever series pure crap not my cup of tea.) My all time favorite is still Quo Vadis, but I also liked Harris' Pompeii very much too. Suggestions?

I've finished Harris' excellent novel, Imperium, and I was wondering what other novels set in ancient Rome people might suggest. (Needless to say, I found McCullough's Caesar-is-the-most-perfect-man-ever series pure crap not my cup of tea.) My all time favorite is still Quo Vadis, but I also liked Harris' Pompeii very much too. Suggestions?

I also enjoyed both of Harris' Roman related books. I might have enjoyed Pompeii more, simply because I wasn't as concerned with the accuracy of a completely fictional character as a participant in a grand historic event.

Imperial Governor by George Shipway is worth a read as well. It provides an account of Suetonius Paulinus, who as governor of Britain under Nero, faces the revolt of Boudicca. An excellent account that stays within the realm of believability.

Additionally, I've always felt that I, Claudius is a must as far as novels go, despite Grave's rather liberal account of things.

My favourite is a little known book called 'The Bridge of Sand'. The story is narrated by a young cavalry ALA commander called Juvenal. Wether or not he is meant to be the poet is unceratain: Anyway, Agricola is told of a 'bridge of sand' to be found in the west of britain, which is said to connect Britain with Ireland if weather and tidal conditions are right. Agricola dispatches Juvenal, his ALA and a vexillation of legionaries to find this bridge, with a view to conquering Ireland.

I won't tell you what happens because it will spoil it should you order it from Amazon, where it is still available (author, John James) but it is quite a mysterious book and at certain points Juvenal and his little command encounter frightening situations whilst cut off from the main Roman army and the civilised portion of Britain. At such times, James' description of harrassment from British tribes in tandem with awful weather and descriptions of windswept British vistas truly puts a shiver up ones spine!

My particular favorite book is 'Eagle In The Snow' by Wallace Breem

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagle-Snow-General...2350&sr=8-3

This is the book that supplied me with my user name, I would highly recommend it.

The Emperor series from Conn Iggulden I absolutely love, and I'll definately second the nominations for Imperium by Harris and I, Claudius by Robert Graves (though it was indeed quite liberal in the portrayal).

Always on the first place for me goes "I Claudius". This is the novel I tried being 10 years old and this was the book that made me want to know more. Since Iv read "I Claudius" I have started reading everythng about Ancient Rome.

Second for me goes McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series for both accuracy and great invention and narration of author.

I didnt try Harris books yet but after reading your opinions I think I should check them.

As for Quo Vadis that MPC likes, personally I have always considered it naive and childish, even inspite of the fact that my countryman who has written it got Noble Prize.

I havent read it for qute long time but Harry's Turtledove "Lost Legion" wasnt bad :) Way better than Igguldens book because author had transfered in magi ways Roman cohort from Gaul straight to fantastic world.

The Gospels are pretty good. They have truly impacted world culture and continue to be international best sellers despite being published nearly 2 millenia ago. Sorry about that... couldn't resist :lol::)

Seriously though, I'd like to second Moon's Skystone suggestion. I forgot completely about this one as the later books in the series lost some of the original luster (in my opinion of course.)

Would also like to add "Gates of Fire" by Pressfield that recounts Thermopylae. Despite being Greek rather than Roman, it would be a disservice to not include it.

The 'Roma Sub Rosa' series of books about a fictional Roman detective called Gordianus the Finder are a great set of Roman crime novels set in the late republic from the time of Sulla through to Caesar.

Would also like to add "Gates of Fire" by Pressfield that recounts Thermopylae. Despite being Greek rather than Roman, it would be a disservice to not include it.

Thanks for the Greek shout, PP - for I still have not read any historical novel set in any period or location that is better than a story produced by the genius who was Mary Renault - despite her love affair with Alexander that allows him few flaws. Her recreation of the ancient world is done with such detail that the reader is totally submerged in the times. Manda Scott's Boudica series is also well produced and vivid, although one can get a bit bogged down with the tedium of her 'dreaming' after three volumes! But I found that I read these books less for the Norfolk slut than for her half-brother Ban, who went off to join the Romans - like any sensible Brit would do! :D:D I will say one thing for Scott - she painted one of the best portraits of Gaius (Caligula) that I have ever read. Not a madman, but a megalomaniac who drained a person's soul with his eyes. It was a chilling portrait that struck fear in the reader. He had a quiet menace about him that was under control, and all the more menacing because of it.

Of the main Roman ones, like others, I loved I, Claudius and Claudius, the God, even though Graves took gross liberties. The fact remains, the man is a classical author and it shows in the effortless flow of his prose. Compare it, for instance, with the horrendously pompous Last Days of Pompeii by Bulwer Lytton! :(

Harris is becoming a favourite. Although he does not actually recreate the Roman world in such detail as Renault and Scott recreate their worlds, his pace is tremendous. I could not put Pompeii or Imperium down, and with the latter, in particular, I, as a previous Cicero enemy, found that I actually liked the old sod after reading this! Harris provides wonderful characterisation. I can't wait for the next two in this trilogy.

I have read very little fiction set in the Roman world but plenty in the Greek World. As far as Roman fiction goes, The Golden Ass anyone? :(

I liked Pride of Carthage, despite the liberties taken in writing it.

Over the Wine Dark Sea by Turtledaub (this is Harry Turtledove's pen-name when he writes historical) is a good one, and it has Romans in it, so I think it counts.

The Ten Thousand is a rather good Gates of Fire spinoff.

BTW, is Harris "the Harris", father of Hannibal Lector?

for I still have not read any historical novel set in any period or location that is better than a story produced by the genius who was Mary Renault - despite her love affair with Alexander that allows him few flaws. Her recreation of the ancient world is done with such detail that the reader is totally submerged in the times

I have (but have not yet read) Renault's The King Must Die. Any particular suggestions?

BTW, thanks for the recommendations and keep them coming!

Iv read it and liked altough im not sure if slaves were Spartan wariors too.

I have (but have not yet read) Renault's The King Must Die. Any particular suggestions?

The King Must Die & Bull from the Sea are superb. The Augusta is correct, M. Renault did a great job with her research in bringing the Theseus myth to life. When she deviated or invented she explains very well in her notes why. It is indeed totally immersive