UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

the war of 1812

CiceroD

That said, the US Navy won most of the single ship -to -ship actions of the time, due to the amazing super-frigates of that period

FWIW, the Battle of Lake Erie, the first "fleet" action of the American navy, resulted in the surrender/capture of the entire British squadron, and led directly to the American recovery of Detroit and British retreat from southern Upper Canada.

Edited by Marcus Caelius

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada didn't win anything in the War of 1812, they just stopped our invasion, an invasion of British territory.

A technicality here, I think - in the political sense British North America didn't win anything, as this was simply a repelled attack from British territory. However, for the people who were defending their homelands, this would have been considered a great victory, especially given the ferocity with which American troops were exercising in that region.

The invasion was poorly planned, led, and supplied. Don't entrust an invasion to old hogeys.

C-085127.jpg

Just Thought I'd post ths great picture of Veterans of the War of 1812. I came across this picture some time back and I thought of putting it up here, although I forgot in time.

Information about the picture from the Site:

John Smoke Johnson, Jacob Warner and John Tutlee.Jacob Warner and John Tutlee were two of the Iroquois warriors who encountered Laura Secord as she approached the British camp to warn of the impending invasion by American troops. The Iroquois led her to Lieutenant Fitzgibbon, whose troops mobilized and overcame the Americans.

just out of curiosity wasnt it us canucks that pushed the americans back past the white house and also painted it a different color, i guess if you want to call that a win for you guys go for it but as far as i know that was a pretty weird win for you and all :) not bashing you guys at all but i am one of the canadians that thought we won that war( and i was slightly taken back by the remark of we would all be eating crumpets and drinking tea line just becuase we were part of the british monarchy doesnt mean that we were our own fighting force defending our newborn country( if u want a good example of the canadian fighting force then ww1 and ww2 are to multiple good examples of both as well as the beor war just to let you know B)

What in the world are you talking about?!? :lol: Painting the White House, protecting a new country? Canada didn't win anything in the War of 1812, they just stopped our invasion, an invasion of British territory.

then just out of interest does it call it a (at least to me it seems anyway) like a minor victory to us ???. and yes we may have been part of the british then but if i remember correctly werent you guys as well when you urselfs fought the french ? i may be wrong but somehow i do remember a little bit of my countrys history even just a tiny little bit. but still as said we were part of the british empire till the mid 50's and if i remember history right with every war we participated in we were renowned for our fighting to protect our country hence y in ww2 we were the most feared country in the commonwealth to fight against or so the germans said(correct me if i am wrong though) and as well the people that made the headlines for alot of battles were of canadian blood(and yes in ww2 we were still in some way apart of the commonwealth of british authority) hence vimy ridge and pasiondale(i spelt that wrong i know) and as well ypre(that probably wrong as well i cant spell today) just to name a few battles where we as a country made an everlasting image and gained respect just like i personally think in the war of 1812.

it may seem like i am bashing here or getting mad or whatever you might think badly of me but i personally think that canadians as a whole have made an everlasting image of us to be feared or at least respected in battle becuase of the way we faught(yes there are a number of battles that we lost and are not ashamed to admit) oh and by the way i wasnt sure on the painting the white house thing but i remember hearing something on that, though that would be hilarias if that actually happened:) at least i think so it would be ironic to have a pink or blue white house(though our parliment biulding could use a different tint now and then :) )