UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Worst Punishments in History???

spittle

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Edward II of England. He was killed by putting a red hot iron rod up his anus, or Vlad the Impaler who set people on poles with the pole in their anus and as they slide down the pole it slowly got wider until eventually they were split apart.

Thank you, Septimus - for reminding us of the most horrific death suffered by an English king! ;):) Actually, I've often wondered whether he was really killed that way, or whether it was just a tale put about by his enemies? But it's one of those things that has passed into accepted tradition.

BTW: I once saw Marlowe's Edward II at a theatre in Manchester in which that scene was done, erm - so well - that I had to leave the auditorium to get some air! I was expecting my first baby at the time, too - which didn't help! It's interesting to note that the actual stage direction in the play simply says: 'The king is murdered'.

Although not the worse, the sixteenth century monk, Bartoleme de Las Casas mentions people being thrown into pits filled with sharpened stakes. A bit similar to being impaled, except that your entire body falls onto them, instead of just one being stuck into you, as was the traditional method used by Vlad Dracul.

This whole thread is grotesque, but what the heck...

Indict.co.uk provides first-hand testimony from the victims of dictatorship in Iraq. The punishment described by this witness seems supremely barbaric:

"There was a machine designed for shredding plastic. Men were dropped into it and we were again made to watch. Sometimes they went in head first and died quickly. Sometimes they were put in feet first and died screaming. It was horrible. I saw 30 people die like this. Their remains would be placed in plastic bags and we were told they would be used as fish food.... On one occasion, I saw QUSAY SADDAM HUSSEIN personally supervising these murders."

Thanks, MPC, for the correction on crucifixion.

Saw another one last night on the History Channel's documentary on the Saxons. One of the Saxon kings was killed via (I think it was called) 'Black Angel'...while the poor soul is still alive, his lungs are cut out and splayed on his back. Fun for all! *puke*

Here's one just for the guys. This was a form of torture employed by the Viet Cong: Force a glass rod up into the urethra of the victim. Stomp on victim's penis, shattering glass within.

-- Nephele

I've read about something similar to that but involving horses, where the victims arms and legs are tied to four horses then the horses are whipped and proceed to run of in different directions resulting in the victims limbs being ripped off, now thats gotta make your eyes water!

Called 'Drawing and Quartering'. You Brits had it as one of your pass times.

Saw another one last night on the History Channel's documentary on the Saxons. One of the Saxon kings was killed via (I think it was called) 'Black Angel'...while the poor soul is still alive, his lungs are cut out and splayed on his back. Fun for all! *puke*

Doc - I always thought that was a Viking practice?

I've read about something similar to that but involving horses, where the victims arms and legs are tied to four horses then the horses are whipped and proceed to run of in different directions resulting in the victims limbs being ripped off, now thats gotta make your eyes water!

Called 'Drawing and Quartering'. You Brits had it as one of your pass times.

Gaius - this is not what we Brits know as 'drawing and quartering'. Hanging, drawing and quartering (a barbaric thing that one of my own ancestors suffered - gods rest him) was being half-hanged by slow strangulation, then cut down while still alive, disembowelled, castrated and finally beheaded. The torso was then cut into four. However, 'drawing and quartering' seems to make sense for the above punishment too, so I am not sure what the precise etymology is here. Perhaps 'drawing and quartering' was originally what you say, and later on became what went on after a hanging. Incidentally, there was a provision among the condemned - they could pay the executioner a certain amount on the gallows, and he should have then made sure they were actually dead before beginning the disembowelling. Whether or not the executioners stuck to the bargain or not we'll never know, I suppose.

For me, its GOT to be the Edward II thing. It might not have actually happened to him, but it almost certainly happened to others. ;)

Vlad the Impaler is highly overrated. In 17th century in the Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania, during rebelion in Ukraine, prince Jeremi Wisniowiecki -owner of vast latifundies - became famous not only for his military skills but also for impaling thousands of rebel cossacks. Noone actually know how many were killed in that way because noone cared to count them. Prince Wisniowiecki was use to impale all captured cossaks. He didnt try to get famous in this way but rather to spread fear between the rebeles and it was working as some of his enemies preffered to commit suicide instead of being taken alive.

Here is little article about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremi_Wi%C5%9Bniowiecki

Blood eagle not Black Angel. this was done by the vikings on some poor soul.

My biggest fear would be premature burial.

Edited by spittle