UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Helmet of Maximus?

longshotgene

O.K. now I know there is the helmet on the internet Maximus (From Gladiator) wore when he was in the arena. But where can I buy a helmet that looks like the one he wore in the opening battle scene? In the movie Arthur the main character Arthur wears a similar helmet. According to many of the books I have studied, the helmets are not far from the truth. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

I don't know if this will be of any help to you:

Deepeeka Roman Helmets

Some of them look more accurate than others. There doesn't seem to be a 'Maximus Cavalry helmet' specifically.

Gladiator props

Unfortunately I can only seem to find his Gladiator helmet and sword, not the cavalry one.

Here's some more props:

Gladiator props

Here are some props from King Arthur, it does contain a cavalry helmet, except it seems to be missing its crest:

King Arthur props

I've often wondered if it was possible to just get one made, instead of buying a prop replica that you'd be required to treat like a museum piece (like my Master Replica collection).

If one could locate a reasonably skilled blacksmith or other type of metal worker, it could be well within reason that you wouldn't need to be out an arm and a leg in paying for it.

Good question. The Deepeka helmets and such are made in India. Colleagues of mine have told me to steer clear of these products. They are usually cheap imitations. I just want something I can wear when I teach Julius Caesar to my students. I really like the two movie helmets, but cannot find them anywhere.

• 2 months later...
I've often wondered if it was possible to just get one made, instead of buying a prop replica that you'd be required to treat like a museum piece (like my Master Replica collection).

If one could locate a reasonably skilled blacksmith or other type of metal worker, it could be well within reason that you wouldn't need to be out an arm and a leg in paying for it.

Yes it is possible to find these people. There's a magazine for re-enactors (I think its called 'Skirmisher') which has loads of adverts for people making stuff from all era's. Price dependent on quality and purpose I would say. Museum quality replica's are going to hurt your wallet, but a re-enactment object shouldn't cost too much.