UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Julia C

Deus Impeditio Esuritori Nullus (Episode 21)

I liked this episode a lot better. There was almost zero reference to side plots and almost no soapishness. There was still some fanciful portrayal of characters, but it wasn't too bad at all. I actually enjoyed this one! Best of the season, in my opinion.

We got to see several views of the City, including one dazzling shot of the entire thing. We saw Vorenus playing with C

I too enjoyed this episode much more. I can still do without all the sex and I still cringe every time I see Atia still breathing, but it is what it is. The entire Egyptian spectacle was marvelous and Cleopatra delightfully dislike-able.

Regardless, it seems finally confirmed that the next episode is indeed the very last. It is being touted as the series finale, not the season finale. My guess is that either Pullo, Vorenus or both end up dead. I just hope that Pullo doesn't end up rescuing Caesarion and going off to live in harmony somewhere in Nubia.

Not only is little Julia still missing, but shouldn't Octavia have a veritable brood of children by this point? I'm counting at least five children under the age of 12 in tow -- three by Octavia's first husband (conveniently forgotten by the series' writers), and two daughters by Antony. I'm not counting Antony's children by Fulvia, given over to Octavia to rear, as they should be teenagers by now, and one of them living with Dad.

I thought Cleopatra's and Antony's cruelty was a bit over-the-top in the scene where they're practicing their archery skills on the slave dressed as a stag. Rather than an amusing touch of macabre which I've come to enjoy in this series, I thought that scene was just corny -- with Cleopatra being alternately distracted by conversation and a poor shot, and the slave apparently breathing a sigh of relief each time, until the ("tough luck, buddy!") end. But overall, I enjoyed this episode.

-- Nephele

I thought last night's episode was pretty weak and poorly written.

The scenes between Antony and Cleopatra were way over the top and perhaps, this was the intention of the writers, to show how the once noble and proud Antony had now fallen into an abyss and lost all respect, especially for things that Rome considers sacred or intrinsic to the Roman way of life.

Cleopatra, who looks quite boyish in many of the scenes, succeeds in totally subduing Antony to her will and reveals an unexpected enthusiasm for rough sex, much like Octavian dominating Livia in a very graphic scene of masochistic passion. Who is the real monster here ? Cleopatra or Octavian ? Either way, the republic loses in the end.

I think some of the redeeming scenes were those with Pullo in the Aventine, as he deals with the Roman mob followed by some tragic revelations.

All in all, I don't expect a resounding finish, maybe a rushed one, with some pitiful scenes possibly with Antony, as the proud man bites the dust in inglorious fashion.

Hopefully Atia will finally gets whats coming to her in the finale episode but looking at next weeks previews it doesn't look likely. A quick question, how many years passed between this episode and A Necessary Fiction, was it 5 years? All the children are getting older except Vorenus's oldest daughter apparently. Although a third season will probaly never happen, they did slightly leave the door open for a third season. They introduced Herod the Great, we have timon going to jerasulem, and the whole zealot side plot makes no sense unless they wanted to build on that in another season. If there was a third season i think it may have a entirely new cast with maybe one or two originals thrown in the mix. Also after season one didn't hbo say there would not be a season two?

Also after season one didn't hbo say there would not be a season two?

I can only speak for the BBC's involvement here, but the BBC certainly committed itself to a two season run to fall in line with the HBO requirements - so I take that to mean that HBO were always going to do two seasons.

Meanwhile, reading the snippets from this episode, and taking Septimus' question of how much time has passed, I need to ask all who watched: while Antony and Cleo and Octavian and Liv were busy fornicating, was poor old Marcus off fighting Pompeius all on his own? :ph34r: Hehe - now that's what I call a Roman!

Seriously - has the Sicilian War figured at all, folks?

Seriously - has the Sicilian War figured at all, folks?

Not at all.

Indeed not even a mention of Pompeius or the demise of Lepidus. The closest point of reference might have been Antony's demand to have Carthage transferred to his control.

I'll bet that if they do a third season they won't announce it until later. That way there will be no anticipation and such, so they can take their time in making a strong show, without all the soap opera BS.

I'll bet that if they do a third season they won't announce it until later. That way there will be no anticipation and such, so they can take their time in making a strong show, without all the soap opera BS.

A 3rd season? If HBO were to come out with a 3rd season then I'd sacrifice a fine white lamb or failing that, if I couldn't get a good one at a decent price then at least 6 pigeons...

I'd love to see a factually based drama on the beginning of Rome leading to the fall of the Kings...or failing that something about Marius and Sulla.

Edited by Lucius Sentius Saturninus

A 3rd season? If HBO were to come out with a 3rd season then I'd sacrifice a fine white lamb or failing that, if I couldn't get a good one at a decent price then at least 6 pigeons...

You do not say, Lucius, whether your sacrifice would be in thanksgiving or propitiation ;):)

...or failing that something about Marius and Sulla.

That would be nice. A factually based show covering events from Marius and Sulla to the Principate.

...or failing that something about Marius and Sulla.

That would be nice. A factually based show covering events from Marius and Sulla to the Principate.

Ooh, I like this idea...although I think there would have to be a prequel covering the brothers Gracchi, nonne? :)

But this turn in the discussion has made me realize something, unless a large number of episodes/series/sequels can be dedicated to such endeavors, is it possible to portray factually based works like this in an entertaining fashion AND to the satisfaction of the critical eyes of the likes of us?

The tales of Marius and Sulla (either in concert or in conflict with each other) endured 20ish years. Of course there is a lot of fluff that is not suitable for film but how would you try to cover all of that properly in 2 hours - or even 12 or 24 (say, two seasons of 12 one-hour episodes)? HBO has tried that now, covering a large period like this, from 54 to 31 BC, and look at how many historical gaps, inaccuracies, and the like we have found. Sure, you could focus better on the history and less on sub-plots, which would help keep the story on track and more factual but still a massive undertaking.

I would love to see this though...maybe we should write a manuscript?

HBO has tried that now, covering a large period like this, from 54 to 31 BC, and look at how many historical gaps, inaccuracies, and the like we have found. Sure, you could focus better on the history and less on sub-plots, which would help keep the story on track and more factual but still a massive undertaking.

But if the scriptwriters had kept to the historical events instead of introducing silly subplots of Timon the Jew, Erastes Fulmen and his cronies, or even Pullo and Vorenus and their various domestic spats, there would have been plenty of time. This for me is the crux of things. HBO have taken two separate strings and tried to make a whole. I think the series would have worked better if it had either stuck purely to the history (which is entertaining, and a lively enough script from good writers would have ensured it was) and left out the subplots; or, conversely, devise a series about purely fictitious characters against the backdrop of the fall of the Republic.

Edited by The Augusta